The area between Park Road Shopping Center and Selwyn Avenue along Park Road has been looking for an identity, and now they have one.
Neighborhood leaders and developers have agreed on “Montford Park” as a cohesive name that pays homage to two of the two biggest landmarks — the shopping center and the Montford Drive entertainment area.
[Agenda story: Get ready for Montford Park]
They now have a new logo and governing board.
The whole effort is being spearheaded by Rachel Russell, who runs the Charlotte office of the development firm Milhaus. She was until recently with Grubb Properties, where she worked on projects in this area. Yellow Duck Marketing has also been heavily involved.
There is now a nonprofit organization behind the effort as well, Montford Park Partners. The goal is to boost the “livability, viability, and visibility” of the neighborhood.
Russell is the chairwoman of the nonprofit’s board. Here’s the rest:
- Tracy Espy (Vice Chair), Pfeiffer University
- Chris Parker (Treasurer), Pfeiffer University
- Marcie Williams (Secretary), Rivergate KW Residential
- Bob Moore, Bank of the Ozarks
- Michael Tubridy, Crescent Communities
- Laura White, Grubb Properties
- Adam Williams, Legacy Real Estate Advisors
- Cindy Wolfe, Bank of the Ozarks
Some stats on Montford Park
- 1/3 of a square mile
- 3,208 employees at 79 businesses
- 50,000 cars per day
- 620 residents (for now)
- 1,538 multifamily units, 300 hotel rooms, and 50,000 square feet of retail are in the works
Montford Park is trying to get local business owners together later this month. The details: 5 p.m. September 27 at Sir Edmond Halley’s.
Cover image by Tara Lily.