From 2-10 p.m. on June 18, Historic South End will host the day-long celebration, Art & Soul of South End. Get ready for an entire day of discovering the South End experience, including the Charlotte Rail Trail, art and design, craft breweries, shopping, food trucks and more.
Here’s my take (Lizzy) on the 3 events that I definitely won’t miss:
Carolina Food Truck Chow Down Presented by Budweiser
- Location: Camden Rd. from East Blvd. to Tremont Ave. from 2-10 p.m.
- Will feature food trucks from North and South Carolina
- Professional judges will determine the winner of the $7,500 grand prize
- Everyone can cast a vote for the People’s Choice award to determine their favorite food truck
- Scope out a few of the food trucks: Tin Kitchen, Belly Backers, Taco Green-Go, Ooo-Wee BBQ, The Wingzza Truck, Mexican Fusion, Ron’s Taco Shop, and What the Fries.
“Discover the Edge of Town” Trolley Tour – Including Craft Breweries
- Location: trollies will circulate throughout South End, making stops at some of Charlotte’s most popular craft breweries (Triple C, Sycamore, Lenny Boy, Wooden Robot and Unknown)
- Narrated trolley tours: 2-5 p.m.
- Trolley shuttle: 5-8 p.m.
- Cost: Free
- Guides will share information about why South End is unique
South End Community Make Day at C3 Lab
- Location: C3 Lab from 10-2 p.m.
- Temporary learning environment
- Anyone can explore new technology
- Design, prototype and build ideas from start to finish
If you don’t like my favorite 3, don’t worry. Here’s a breakdown of all the other truly unique events taking place that same day:
South End Destinations and Lifestyle
- Location: down the Charlotte Rail Trail, stopping off at neighborhood destinations
- Visitors will:
- Browse unique paintings, sculptures, jewelry, and mosaics at a wide variety of galleries
- Drink award-winning beers from OMB
Matador Music Mash Up
- Main stage: Camden Rd. & Park Ave. from 2-10 p.m.
- Acoustic stage: Camden Rd. & Kingston Ave. from 2-6:30 p.m.
- Location: Camden Rd. from 2-8 p.m.
- Art show curated by the Charlotte Art League, with a mix of local artists showcasing their work
- Location: Shook Kelley Building from 3-8 p.m.
- More than 20 unique vendors, including mobile fashion trucks, will have a variety of products offered including handcrafted jewelry, artwork, home décor, beauty care and more.
The Rail Trail Experience
- Location: down the Charlotte Rail Trail
- Performances and music: 3-10 p.m.
- New public art installations
- Linear yoga classes
- Intimate pockets of public entertainment
- Referred to as “Buskerpalooza”
Queen City Jazz Festival
- Performances of lively jazz music that is part of the Queen City Jazz Festival
- Charlotte Trolley Museum, 1507 Camden Rd.: Ziad Rabbie Trio from 2-6 p.m.
- Grace Covenant Church, 1800 South Blvd.: Jazz Arts Initiative youth band; Dawn Anthony Quartet from 2-6 p.m.
- Chance to win VIP tickets to Queen City Jazz Fest
- Location: Charlotte Rail Trail at Bland St. Station from 8-8:45 p.m.
- NC Yoga Bar will host a free, linear yoga session designed to relax and rejuvenate the body and mind during sunset.
Here’s a map to help navigate all these epic events: