Here we are at last. A long weekend filled with fun activities. What will you do this Memorial Day weekend? You can find me at the Whitewater Center with a cold Higher Ground IPA.
Eat & Drink
- Food Truck Friday: This weekend only come try the famous Chinese dumplings by Chirba Chirba Dumpling. The dumping gang is rolling down from Durham, NC on Friday just for you. Menu. Friday, 5/22; 5-9pm
- Lake Norman Beer Fest: If you are spending this Memorial Day weekend at Lake Norman hop in an Uber and cruise over to the Lake Norman Beer Fest. There will be over 75 different craft beers and live music from JOYSTICK and Gump Fiction. Saturday, 5/23; 5-9pm
- Bars & Bites in Historic South End: This walking “happy hour themed” tour of South End will introduce you to restaurants, pubs and/or breweries along the Rail Trail while teaching you about some of Charlotte’s history. $49; Friday, 5/22; 4-7pm. Register.
- Alive After Five: Start the weekend tonight at Alive After Five with live music featuring Blue Monday. Tonight, 5/21; 5pm
- NoDa Farmers Market: Last weekend was the successful grand opening and the NoDa farmers market is now open for business. Stop by this weekend to do a little grocery shopping. Support these great local growers and vendors and know they often use proceeds for community projects. Saturday, 5/23; 8am-12pm
- Hisense 300: If you can’t make it to the Coca-Cola 600 then get your NASCAR fix on Saturday at the Hisense 300. This much shorter race only costs $25 and children under 13 are free. Saturday, 5/23; 9:30am
- Coca-Cola 600: Throw on some jorts, pack a cooler and head out the Charlotte Motor Speedway this Sunday for the 56th running of the Coca-Cola 600. Even if you don’t see the race you are bound to have a good time. Prime people watching right here folks. Sunday, 5/24; 12:30pm; Tickets.
- Lacrosse: Charlotte Hounds take on the Boston Cannons at Memorial Stadium. Saturday, 5/23; 7pm. Tickets.
- Symetra Classic: This LPGA tournament will be played this weekend at Raintree Country Club. Free entrance on Saturday with the donation of three non-perishable items for the Second Harvest Food Bank. Full schedule and tickets.
- Whitewater Center Memorial Day Celebration: Celebrate the long weekend at the Whitewater Center with live music featuring the Packway Handle Band, Big Daddy Love, & The Infamous Stringdusters. Grab a partner and join the corn hole tournament for only $30 per team. Sunday, 5/24; 9am-9:30pm
- Speed Street: Head Uptown tonight, Friday, or Saturday for the 21st annual Speed Street. Live performances by Parmalee, Corey Smith, Craig Wayne Boyd (winner of the voice) and Dennis DeYoung. Thursday, 5/21 – 5-11:45pm; Friday, 5/22 – 6-11:45pm; Saturday, 5/23 – 9am-11:45pm
- Military Day at Carowinds: All active, inactive and retired military get free admission to Carowinds Saturday through Monday. Special military activities, including live music, will take place at the park from 10am-2pm both days.
- Spraygrounds: All Charlotte Mecklenburg Spraygrounds open this weekend and remain open until Labor Day. Take the entire family to one of these locations and cool off this weekend.
#waterpark #sprayground #lattapark #clt A photo posted by Stacey Rubenstein (@slrimages1966) on
- New Frequencies at the McColl Center for Art + Innovation. This event features a one-hour program of short films by Janie Geiser, an internationally acclaimed animator. $5; Friday, 5/22; 8-9:30pm. Tickets.
- Culture Initiative’s Culture Fair. A family friendly event at the Chop Shop featuring artists, artisans and food from local chefs. Sunday, 5/24; 1-5pm
- Sesame Street Live: Take the kids to Bojangles’ Coliseum for Sesame Street Live: “Make a New Friend.” Shows will take place throughout the weekend. Full schedule and tickets.
- Open Mic Night at McGlohon Theater: All ages are invited to perform or spectate at this free event. Instrumentalists, singers, dancers, storytellers, poets, jugglers, magicians and others are all welcome. Audience seating is on a first-come-first-served basis. Friday, 5/22; 7:30pm
- Sister Mary Ignatius Explains It All to You at Upstage in NoDa: Sister Mary teaches the audience all about life, love, alcohol, bathroom breaks and handguns. Play runs Thursday through Sunday. Full schedule and tickets.
- Additional concerts: Check out this weekend’s line up in Danny’s CLT Playlist.
- Lace up Son 5K: With all the fun things going on this weekend make time to support the Steve Smith Family Foundation. The annual 5k will take place downtown Matthews and proceeds will go to the Charlotte YMCA programs for children financially unable to participate. Monday, 5/25; 6:30am. Register Here.