Looks like a solid weekend ahead. Check out what’s going on so you can be the weekend hero. If you catch an Uber to the Wells Fargo tournament make sure to use the WFCGOLF cars. A portion of their proceeds will go to the tournament’s charity.
Eat & Drink
- Futo Buta, the new ramen place in South End, finally opens this weekend. Opening day is set for Saturday at 11 am. Read a behind the scenes interview with the chef and check out a preview of the menu.
- John’s Country Kitchen: Don’t miss out on experiencing one of Charlotte’s iconic restaurants in Plaza Midwood. See Katie’s article on the closing of John’s Country Kitchen to learn all about it.
- South End Hops Festival: Celebrate craft beer at the 2nd annual South End Hops Festival. There will be 20+ breweries and live music from Heroes at Last & Amigo. $10-$50; Saturday, 5/16; 1 pm; Go
6 months in the making 🍻 This Saturday it happens in @southendclt #SouthEndHopsFest A photo posted by South End Hops Festival (@southendhopsfest) on
- NoDa Farmers Market: The grand opening of the NoDa Farmers Market is this Saturday. Support your local farmers and artisans. Saturday, 5/16; 8 am-noon
- Greater Charlotte Asian and Dragon Boat Festival: Take the entire family to Ramsey Creek Park at Lake Norman for the 16th annual Charlotte Asian Festival. Activities include the 10th annual dragon boat race, cultural performances and the Miss Asia Carolina pageant. Saturday, 5/16; 8 am-5 pm; free
- Bob Saget: See this 30 year veteran of stand up comedy at The Comedy Zone. Friday, 5/15 at 8 pm or 10:15 pm; Saturday, 5/16 at 7 pm and 9:30 pm; tickets
- South End Saturday: If you missed the first South End Saturday last weekend, stop by this Saturday for Classic Car Day. Bring you classic, muscle, or antique car and enjoy everything the food trucks have to offer. Saturday, 5/16; 11 am-3 pm @ the food truck lot
- McColl Center for Art: This open house promotes the work of former artist-in-residence Alix Lambert and several Charlotte-based filmmakers. Friday, 5/15; 6-9 pm
- Union Shop Studio: Check out the opening reception for Micah Cash’s exhibition Land Marks. The featured photographs explore Charlotte’s growing suburban presence. Friday, 5/15; 6-10 pm & Open House on Saturday, 5/16; 12-5 pm
- Charlotte Symphony: Handel and the Royals on Friday, May 15 at 8:30 pm, $29 – tickets; Peter and the Wolf on Saturday, May 15 at 11 am, $19.50+ – tickets and Charlotte Symphony Youth Orchestra Spring Concert on Sunday, May 17 at 3:30 pm, $8 – tickets available at the door.
- SlamCharlotte Poetry Slam at Booth Playhouse featuring Charlotte’s own 2 time national championship team. Not recommended for children. $10, Friday, 5/15, 8 pm; tickets
- The Jazz Room at Stage Door Theater: Greg Jarrell will be playing two performances Friday evening featuring music by saxophonist Gerry Mulligan. $12 in advance or $15 at the door; Friday, 5/15; 6 pm or 8:15 pm
- Additional concerts: Check out this weekend’s line up in Danny’s CLT Playlist.
- Wells Fargo Championship: This is the biggest event of the weekend. If you want to be outside, drink cold beer, and watch golf then head over to Quail Hollow Country Dlub this weekend. Friday-Sunday; 5/15-5/17
- Knights Baseball Game: Grab a friend and head over to the Knights vs. Syracuse game this weekend. Friday, 5/15 at 7 pm; Saturday, 5/16 at 7 pm, Sunday 5/17 at 2 pm
- NASCAR: Head out to Charlotte Motor Speedway for the Sprint All-Star Race. Saturday, 5/16 at 2 pm-midnight
- SwimMAC’s Arena Pro Series: Watch Michael Phelps and Ryan Lochte swim in this weekend’s grand prix event. Tickets are no long available online but will be sold at the door. Thursday – Sunday; full schedule