This weekend marks the 141st running of the Kentucky Derby and one of the greatest fights of the century. If you are in the Queen City this weekend check out some cool places that will make you feel like you are at the Derby. Gonna be a good weekend to place some bets.
Eat & Drink
- Foxy Derby: Not going to the Kentucky Derby? Head over to Leroy Fox for Arnold Palmers ($5) and Mint Juleps ($6). Dress in your best derby attire for a chance to win prizes. There will be a cornhole competition and live music by Hunter’s Travesty. $10 entry; Saturday, 5/2; 4-8 pm
- Talk Derby To Me: Rooftop 210 at the epicenter is hosting their 2nd annual Derby party with every tailgate game you can think of. Throw on a bowtie/big hat and join the crowd for a Mint Julep. Did I mention you get a free t-shirt and koozie. Wow! Saturday, 5/2; 2-8 pm
- Charlotte Food Fight: 15 food trucks compete in three categories: Chef’s Choice, Mystery Ingredient and People’s Choice. The event raises money for Relay for Life and will take place in the South End Food Truck lot. Saturday, 5/2; 3-9 pm
- Back Porch Brunch: The Piedmont Culinary Guild and Charlotte Center City Partners bring you this Sunday brunch as part of their ‘Front Porch Sundays’ series. The event will feature ten area chefs and one mixologist who will use local ingredients from farms, artisans and purveyors. $35; Sunday, 5/3; noon-2:30 pm
- Gigabit Hackathon: DC74 is hosting a Gigabit hackathon this weekend. For those who have no idea what this is. It will allow you to experience the powerful speed of the Gigabit Internet Services similar to Google Fiber.
- Mayweather vs Pacquiao Fight Night: The fight of the century is taking place this weekend with two fighters who are considered the best pound-for-pound boxers of their generation. Looking for a place to watch? Check out these cool spots. Nan & Byron’s ($100 Event), Strike City, Fitzgerald’s Irish Pub, Kennedy’s, Slate Billiards Saturday, 5/2; 9 pm
#box #mayweatherpacquiao #may2 A photo posted by Carlos Saavedra A. (@carsaaved) on
- Art & Soul of South End: A weekend-long event that will kick off Thursday evening with Pecha Kucha at Amos’ Southend and includes South End’s signature arts festival with 25 independent artists. There are events and activities for all ages. Additional details here.
- Aids Walk 2015: The 19th annual AIDS WALK is the largest HIV awareness and fundraising event in the Carolinas. A 2 mile walk through the heart of Uptown Charlotte will raise money benefiting a Charlotte network called RAIN. Saturday, 5/2, 10 am
- Independence Soccer Game: Charlotte Independence will play their 5th game of the year this Saturday against Louisville City FC. Its only $17 a ticket for an action packed soccer game. Saturday, 5/2; 7 pm
- Charlotte Knights Game: All weekend the Knights will be playing the RailRiders. Great beer drinking weather has been forecasted so grab a cold one at the game. Friday, 5/1 at 7 pm; Saturday, 5/2 at 7 pm; Sunday, 5/3 at 2 pm