Senior Scrum Master
Lowe’s Companies, Inc. (NYSE: LOW) is a FORTUNE® 50 home improvement company serving approximately 18 million customers a week in the United States and Canada. With fiscal year 2019 sales of $72.1 billion, Lowe’s and its related businesses operate or service more than 2,200 home improvement and hardware stores and employ approximately 300,000 associates. Based in Mooresville, N.C., Lowe’s supports its hometown Charlotte region and all communities it serves through programs focused on creating safe, affordable housing and helping to develop the next generation of skilled trade experts. For more information, visit Lowes.com.
As a FORTUNE® 50 home improvement company, Lowe’s is committed to creating safe, affordable housing and helping to develop the next generation of skilled trade experts through nonprofit partnerships. Across every community we serve, Lowe’s associates donate their time and expertise through the Lowe’s Heroes volunteer program. For the latest news, visit Newsroom.Lowes.com or follow @LowesMedia on Twitter.
The primary purpose of this role is to guide multiple Agile teams through Scrum, Kanban, and other Agile practices to deliver quality software solutions. This role is responsible for facilitating intake, refinement, prioritization and sequencing of work (features) consumed by the delivery teams and helps teams self-organize to ensure continuous flow of features.
This role performs all scrum master duties including (but not limited to): facilitating Agile team ceremonies, conducting Agile training and continuous improvement workshops, removing and escalating impediments, supporting feature trade-off discussions, helping the team self-organize and remain focused on the right priorities, and facilitating actionable process improvement discussions to optimize quality, reliability, predictability and output.
This role also conducts Scrum of Scrum processes when in a team-of-teams model to ensure consistency across dependent teams. This role is also responsible for mentoring Scrum Masters, supporting the Scrum Community of Practice or similar groups, participating in enterprise process improvement efforts, and serving as an advocate for change in the Technology organization.
• Works with multiple teams to facilitate the process of the team defining Working Agreements, Definition of Ready, Definition of Done and then ensures those agreements are upheld; ensures the team follows standard processes while identifying opportunities for improvement
• Facilitates agile ceremonies for multiple teams: daily stand-up (scrum) meetings, retrospectives, demos, backlog grooming/refinement, backlog sizing, sprint planning, scrum of scrum ceremonies, release planning
• Understands and uses a variety of techniques to continuously optimize ceremonies and team participation and engagement
• Identifies and helps remove impediments, escalates impediments to product and solutions managers; recommends ways to resolve impediments, and influences leadership to take action on these recommendations
• Helps team inspect and adapt process through retrospectives, data/metrics tracking, and by creating a safe, trusting environment; coaches team to higher levels of performance
• Creates information radiators (burn-downs, velocity chart, etc.), dashboards, and demos to assist with communication and improve transparency; provides metric reports to assist in product roadmap planning
• Facilitates discussion, decision making, and conflict resolution; drives work forward without coercion, assigning, or dictating the work directly
• Participates in release planning discussions, helps establish priorities and sequencing required to deliver efficiently, and helps team commit to and complete sprints
• Enables the culture of accountability so that the team and team members feel accountable for delivering on commitments; helps team identify when commitments are at risk, and then coaches team to determine possible solutions to ensure commitments are met
• Serves as an Agile subject matter expert (SME), promoting learning in others and providing coaching and insight to cross-functional partners
• Ensures the team’s backlogs are sufficiently full at all times, having at minimum 3-4 sprints worth of work defined
• Provides feedback to others, including upward feedback to leadership and mentoring feedback to junior team members
• Provides clear and concise communication materials to Product Manager to inform senior leadership
• Mentors Scrum Masters, helping them build their skillset and achieve higher levels of performance
• Brings new tools and techniques to scrum community for continuous improvement
• Operates as a Release Train Engineer (RTE) who facilitates PI/Big Room Planning Quarterly at the Program Leve
• Facilitates PI Retrospectives to improve in future PIs
• Trains new associates on Lean Agile Principles
• Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Computer Science, MIS, or related field (or equivalent work experience in a related field)
• 5 years of IT or related business experience
• 3 years of experience providing project, product, or team leadership
• 3 years of experience performing the Scrum Master role for 2 or more software development teams
• 3 years of experience working in a large matrixed organization
• 3 years of experience with Agile methodologies (Kanban, TDD, etc.) and toolsets (Atlassian suite, etc.)
• First level Scrum Master Certification (CSM) or SAFe Scrum Master Certification or Agile Certified Practitioner (ACP) or PSM Certification(s)
• Knowledgeable of Agile Tooling such as JIRA, Rally, VersionOne, etc.
• Experience leading teams, with or without direct reports
• In most cases Lowe’s will not be able to provide sponsorship for roles located in the Tech Hub
• Master’s degree in Business Administration, Computer Science, MIS, or related field (or equivalent work experience in a related field)
• 5 years of experience in a software development team
• 3 years of corporate retail experience
• 5 years of experience working with IT solution delivery teams
• 3 years of experience working on projects or programs requiring the integration of cross-functional technology and/or business solutions
• Knowledge of Agile Project Management fundamentals as defined by the Project Management Institute in the Project Management Body of Knowledge or Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe)
• Second level Scrum Master Certification (CSP)
• ICAgile Certified Expert Agile Coach certification
• Experience in managing large multi-geography (global) teams
• SAFe Program Consultant (SPC) certification