Certified Ophthalmic Assistant/Technician
Our mission is to enhance, restore, and preserve vision. Our physicians are passionate, talented professionals with a genuine interest in enhancing the lives of those with vision problems. We strive to better our patients’ quality of life through the most advanced technological procedures and state-of-the-art equipment. We’re always looking for qualified staff members who share our commitment to providing clinical excellence. We offer a comprehensive benefits package designed to address the diverse needs of our employees and their families and allow them to maintain good health, financial well-being, and plan for retirement.
Horizon Eye Care is 20 doctor Ophthalmology and Optometry practice serving the greater Charlotte area. This position assists Ophthalmologists and Optometrists by obtaining medical histories, performing preliminary eye function testing and explaining to patients about medication or procedures, preparing the patient for the exam, and beginning the examination with standard tests and measurements. Performs instrument maintenance and automated tests; sets up operating room instruments and may assist with minor surgeries; completes all necessary data forms and paperwork for clinical visits.
• Reviews patients chart prior to physician exam to anticipate procedures and supplies or equipment that may be needed.
• Performs initial patient exams, which includes patient history, vision test, intraocular pressure test, pupil evaluation.
• Performs automated and manual testing which may include auto and manual refractions and auto keratometry, corneal topography, pachymetry, tonometry, confrontation visual fields, Amsler Grid test, Schirmer test, endothelial cell count test, potential acuity meter test, and brightness acuity test.
• Performs basic slit lamp examinations, basic ocular motility testing, administers ophthalmic drops and ointments, and applies ocular dressings and shields.
• Assists with minor outpatient surgical procedures.
• Transcribes results of patient exams on medical record as physician orally dictate during the patient exam.
• Develops positive and effective relationships with patients and their families.
• Performs routine maintenance and cleaning of ophthalmic instruments.
• Performs administrative tasks which include responding to inquiries in messaging and voice mail systems. Assists with appointments and telephone screening activities. Answers STAT phone, takes messages and relays to appropriate individuals. Under direction of physician, may call pharmacy with prescription refills and records prescriptions in patients chart. Files test results, forms, and letters into medical records.
• Performs stocking and maintenance functions. Maintains physical environment of workup and exam rooms. Cleans and stocks rooms daily and maintains appropriate supply per par levels. Assists with ordering medical/office supplies.
• High school diploma or equivalent.
• Two to three years of experience if not certified through JCAHPO.
• Certified Ophthalmic Assistant/Technician through JCAHPO.
• Associates degree or equivalent from two-year college or technical school.