Founded in 2003, Broad River Retail, a Charlotte-owned and operated home furnishings retailer, is the largest and fastest-growing Ashley HomeStore licensee in the Carolinas and Georgia, currently with 24 HomeStore’s/Outlets.
Broad River Retail d/b/a Ashley HomeStore is seeking a Controller to join our growing team at our corporate office located in Fort Mill, SC.
The Controller is responsible for all areas relating to general accounting and accounts payable. This position will be responsible for developing and maintaining accounting principles, practices, and procedures to ensure accurate and timely financial statements. The Controller supervises a staff of professional accountants and a group of accounts payable staff and is responsible for managing the team to ensure that work is properly allocated and completed in a timely and accurate manner. This position addresses tight deadlines and a multitude of accounting activities including general ledger preparation, cash management, payroll accounting, accounts payable, sales tax accounting, financial reporting, year-end audit preparation. The Controller will have contact with senior-level management which requires strong interpersonal communication skills both written and verbal.
• Obtain and maintain a thorough understanding of the financial reporting and general ledger structure. Manage the closing process to ensure an accurate and timely monthly, quarterly, and year-end close.
• Assist in the timely reporting of all monthly financial information.
• Audit all balance sheet accounts to justify balances monthly, and quarterly with third party documentation.
• Assist the Sr. V.P. of Finance in daily banking requirements and cash forecasting.
• Manages accounts payable to ensure proper recording and timely payments of vendor liabilities.
• Provide oversight with the Sr. V.P. of Finance on Lease accounting under ASC 842 guidance.
• Collaborates with the other finance department managers to support overall department goals and objectives.
• Monitors and analyzes department work to develop more efficient procedures and use of resources while maintaining a high level of accuracy.
• Oversight of Fixed Asset systems for completeness and reporting for book and tax.
• Provide leadership to the entire finance group to ensure all financial reporting and balance sheet review deadlines are met.
• Assist in development and implementation of new procedures and features to enhance the workflow of the department.
• Provide training to new and existing staff as needed.
• Handle personnel issues relating to staff conflicts, absenteeism, performance issues, etc.
• Work with each direct report to establish goals and objectives for each year and monitor and provide advice on progress to enhance the professional development of staff.
• Answer to all other related requests by management.
• Pursues competency in the accounting field. Staying up to date on GAAP.
• BA/BS in Business with major in Accounting, CPA required
• Ten years’ experience in the industry. Experience working in retail or distribution a plus.
• Must be Microsoft Office proficient and able to thrive in a fast-paced setting. Must have strong experience with ERP and other business systems.
• Requires strong verbal and written communication skills.
• Requires strong interpersonal and supervisory skills required.
• Must have the ability to multi-task, work under pressure and meet deadlines required.