Spanish Healthcare Interpreter I PRN
Our mission is to improve health, elevate hope, and advance healing – for all. The name Atrium Health allows us to grow beyond our current walls and geographical borders to impact as many lives as possible and deliver solutions that help communities thrive.
Responsible for accurate oral interpretation and written translation with an emphasis on medically related communication between the limited English proficient (LEP) speaker and the healthcare team. Sensitive to cultural perception and use language appropriate to the educational and linguistic sophistication of both the client and the healthcare provider.
• Responds to requests for interpretation and translation services in the health care setting.
• Interprets information regarding the patient’s and family’s medical needs. This may include consent for treatment, history and physical assessment, treatment recommendations, patient education, instructions for follow-up, and future appointments.
• Interprets as accurately and directly as possible given the idiomatic differences of languages, and maintains the spirit of the original communication, suspending judgment and making no comment.
• The interpreter will make every effort to ensure the patient and the healthcare provider understands questions, answers, instructions, and other information transmitted by the speaker.
• Assists health care providers in understanding the patient’s culture, especially as it relates to health service interactions. This includes nonverbal communications, health practices, and social relationships.
• Strive to develop a relationship of trust and respect at all times with the patient by adopting a caring, attentive, but discreet and impartial attitude toward the patient, and his/her questions, concerns, and needs.
• Abide by the Atrium Health Code of Conduct for Interpreters. He/she will follow privacy standards at all times.
• Translate basic written information as needed by clinical staff using accepted policy and procedures as requested. • This may include discharge instructions.
• Responsible to promote a safe environment and perform all work related responsibilities in a safe manner.
Work requires walking, standing, sitting, lifting and reaching. Must lift a minimum of 10 pounds to shoulder height. Must speak English and Spanish in simple, understandable terms and have an intact sense of sight and hearing. Must be able to be mobile within the entire healthcare provider system.
• Bachelors degree preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
• Knowledge of medical terminology and/or work experience in a healthcare setting is preferred.
• Demonstrated oral fluency and written skills in English and Spanish by successful completion of Language Assessment.
• Computer literacy, ability to use a word processor, and ability to learn computer software applications specific to the role of the interpreter.
• Good organizational and time management skills are essential.
• Must be able to cope with interruptions, varying personalities and cultural diversity, changing priorities, irregular hours and demanding clients.