Airport Technology Officer
The Airport Technology Officer ensures effective operations of information technology (IT) infrastructure throughout all life-cycle phases in order to meet the business needs of Charlotte Douglas International Airport. In order to meet federal requirements and the demands of the traveling public, airlines, concessionaires, local, state and federal agencies, the Airport Technology Division of the City of Charlotte Innovation and Technology Department maintains a robust IT infrastructure, in addition to the City’s corporate Innovation and Technology Department that provides various departmental services for the organization.
• Manages and directs IT-related activities of the Airport in a 24/7/365 environment.
• Provides direction and support for daily operational activities of the technology department including customer service, network security, network infrastructure, application development, evaluation, and implementation of new software and technologies, software systems support, telecommunications, technical support, and IT policy development.
• Provides managed technology services to the following Airport technology systems: public Wi-Fi; video management system; baggage handling systems; access control and identification badging system; Flight Information Display Systems (FIDs); paging and public address systems; building automation systems; lightning detection system; internal IT firewalls; Airport communication rooms and shared tenant data space; baggage, conveyor and loading bridge monitoring systems; airfield lighting systems; parking revenue control system; parking valet system; automated passport control (ACP); Operations control center; telecommunications including radio and cellular; distributed antennae system; work and asset management; pavement monitoring; safety management system; other related technical support systems.
• Develops long-range plans for systems development, replacement, and hardware acquisition.
• Benchmarks, analyzes, reports on, and makes recommendations on the improvement and growth of the IT infrastructure and IT-related systems.
• Ensures IT infrastructure designs and service models are consistent with current and future business needs of the Airport and appropriate levels are in place.
• Manages the full life-cycle of technology assets and proactively develops plans, policies, and investment programs.
• Manages all Aviation Technology COOP planning, documentation, Disaster Recovery planning, documentation, Business Impact Analysis, Business Continuity inputs, and deliverables.
• Manages all SLAs and MOUs for Aviation Technology, including editing and implementing those between the city and the Airport.
• Provides input and advice into overall operations and investment strategies.
• Recommends where and how technology can be leveraged for business results.
• Makes comprehensive recommendations to problems that will improve the quality and productivity of the work performed through rigorous contract management.
• Leverages vendors and City service providers as part of overall IT service delivery.
• Ensures internal and external customer satisfaction through prompt response and delivery of needed peripheral devices and services (computers, phones, printers, etc.). Provides necessary training on devices and applications as needed.
• Collaborates with IT executives from other airports to set national agenda regarding airport technology investments. Liaise with City IT to ensure security, standards, and policy adherence.
• Makes comprehensive recommendations to problems that will improve the quality and productivity of the work performed. Works closely with decision-makers from other internal departments and tenant organizations to identify, evaluate, recommend, implement, and support cost-effective and innovative technology solutions.
• Conducts studies, research, and surveys.
• Analyzes and interpret records and reports using technological advances to maximize results.
• Maintains a competent internal staff to perform operational response for business continuity of the varied systems throughout the Airport.
• Provides effective leadership.
• Directs, supervises, motivates and counsels to ensure effective performance and career development of all applicable staff.
• Develops and manages IT personal services, operating and capital budgets. Performs budgeting and acquisition of hardware, software, and telecom-related items and asset management. Performs Technology related capital project planning and budgeting.
• Requires a Master’s degree and five years of experience, or Bachelor’s degree and seven years of experience, or an equivalent combination of education and relevant work/industry/military/job specific experience that provides the necessary knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the essential job duties.
• Maintains availability during off duty hours to address urgent needs.
• Valid driver’s license in state of residency and ability to obtain and maintain a City Driving Permit.
• Ability to pass a background check in advance of start date required. Certain convictions will disqualify individuals from unescorted access privileges and therefore exclude from employment.
• Major course work should have included business or public administration, information technology, computer science or related field.
• Experience must be related to technology management in a complex environment, and include supervisory experience and customer service.
• Airport experience or experience in a high volume, 24/7 operating environment highly desired.
• Considerable knowledge of the practices and methods of managing a large scale and complex technical operation.
• Proven track record of information technologies leadership experience and achievement
• Broad knowledge of platforms and systems used in the airport and aviation industry
• Exceptional, practice person, persuasive communicator with a participatory, team-oriented, and engaging leadership style.
• Effective team builder, experience coordinating, directing and managing the work of others
• Broad knowledge of and experience in planning, installation, integration, operation, and maintenance of advanced and diverse technologies that must be supported and operated with near 100% reliability in a 24 hour a day, 7 days per week environment.
• Considerable knowledge of the nature of aviation business.
• Knowledge of standard computer operating systems, hardware, and support.
• Knowledge of operating characteristics of servers, server-based applications, data networking, relational databases, and various protocols.
• Effective organizational, strategic thinking, and reasoning skills.
• Analysis and troubleshooting skills. Ability to test and evaluate hardware and software.
• Ability to make comprehensive recommendations to problems, which will improve the quality and productivity of the work performed.
• Ability to maintain effective working relationships with internal and external customers, tenants, City departments, co-workers, the public, contractors and agencies, and represent the Airport in a professional, positive manner.
• Ability to recruit, train, retain, and motivate a skilled and diverse staff.
• Ability to actively pursue and develop new ideas, methods, and procedures to meet changing situations.
• Ability to provide direction, communicate effectively both verbally and in writing, and drive projects to completion and on schedule, to scope, and within budget.
• Ability to provide input and advice into overall operations and investment strategies.
• Proven leadership in directing a medium-sized technical/professional staff.