Public Relations Manager
SPARK is a strategic branding firm offering an integrated approach to advertising, marketing, public relations, and social media to help businesses grow. For each client, we put together a customized team of strategic planners, designers, web developers, media planners/buyers, PR professionals, and social media specialists based on their needs. We do our best work by partnering with clients who are looking for a long-term relationship so that we can completely immerse ourselves in their business, but we do project work as well. Our passion is helping businesses succeed.
SPARK Strategic Ideas has an immediate need for an experienced PR Manager to join our growing full-service agency. This contract position has the potential to transition to full-time at the end of four months. This is a mid-level role (a minimum of 4-6 years of professional experience) with agency experience preferred. At the moment, the majority of work will be done remotely with the exception of in-person media opportunities as needed. Please submit a resume, recent PR writing samples, and a cover letter that shows your personality to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “PR Manager.”
• Create and implement year-long communications strategies as part of an overarching
public relations plan, including the coordination of details with the SPARK team, media
partners, and vendors.
• Manage client expectations and multiple evolving projects simultaneously.
• Collaborate with account service, social media, media planning/buying, and creative teams
to execute short and long-term projects on time, on budget, and on strategy.
• Proactively cultivate and maintain a network of close relationships with local, regional, and
national media partners.
• Write engaging news releases, pitch to media contacts, and diligently follow-up to ensure
quality placements and coverage.
• Work with both traditional and non-traditional (bloggers, social influencers, etc.) media
contacts for story placements.
• Generate creative promotional ideas and unique story opportunities in a proactive
• Plan, manage, and execute off-site media events.
• Build and maintain custom media databases.
• Track and clip media placements and create coverage reports as well as regular recaps to
• Provide media training to clients and company spokespersons.
• Participate in new business research, proposals and pitches as needed.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Public Relations, Communications, Marketing or related field required
• A minimum of four to six years of professional experience, agency environment preferred
• B2B public relations experience preferred
• Experience with Cision media software system
• Professionalism and confidence in delivering presentations to clients. The heat is on.
• Extreme attention to detail, strong organization, and multi-tasking abilities for a fast-paced environment. Seriously, rocket fast. It’s crazy and we love it.
• Able to build strong relationships with media from local reporters to national writers.
When you make your wedding guest list, your favorite news producer will be on it.
• Thorough understanding of AP Style. No googling allowed. You know this stuff.
• Strong writing skills with a portfolio of news releases, story pitches, etc. We’re looking for newsworthy items that scream for attention.
• Self-motivated individual able to work independently as well as collaborate with a larger team. Giddy up and round up the posse.
• Innovative and creative thinker. We think outside the circle.
• Perform tasks with a sense of urgency and dedication to doing things right. There’s no time to watch the paint dry; we have work to do!
• Above all, must focus on building relationships, have a passion for exceeding expectations, and love learning… we work hard and love what we do. It shows in our work and in the results. Our success is built on our clients’ successes. Boring people and Debbie Downers need not apply!