Protagonist Beer is seeking a seasoned General Manager to help open and lead our two taprooms in Charlotte, NC. Most important to our brand is that the GM acts as a host to our guests and a leader of our team. The GM will play a pivotal role in creating a culture that is healthy, fun and distinctly ours. Operationally, the GM will be responsible for broad oversight and coordination of day-to-day taproom and restaurant, event planning, and personnel oversight.
Be a host
• Ensure a safe, welcoming, hospitable, and inclusive environment for guests that furthers Protagonist’s brand, core values, and purpose.
• Create innovative customer experiences that stimulate purchases and loyalty.
Provide superior leadership
• Motivate and inspire staff by outlining achievable goals and objectives; providing supervision, accountability, and recognition; leading by example.
• Comprehensively fulfill our mission of top-notch experience; develop a professional and well-trained staff able to describe and sell our product.
• Establish a team with positive working relationships that focus on communication and accountability. Employees should have an infectious enthusiasm for Protagonist products, the Protagonist brand, and are crazy about their colleagues.
Perfect taproom and restaurant operations
• Manage Daily Operations: regulate daily processes and constantly improve operational systems; periodically monitor taproom/kitchen operations; monitor security systems; promptly respond to email and phone communications.
• Meet Financial Goals: establish, monitor, and adjust financial controls; control costs and adjust systems when necessary; develop and implement strategies to increase revenues; prepare financial reporting; monitor and approve spending decisions.
• Uphold Service Standards: monitor and evaluate service offerings; maintain high-value staff training; initiate improvements; build relationships with preferred patrons.
• Focus on Accountability: monitor and evolve staff checklists; hold yourself and team accountable to developed and implemented systems, to defined roles and duties, and to maintaining positive attitudes.
• Facilities Maintenance and Permitting: schedule preventative maintenance for equipment; timely submit all permit renewals; monitor seasonal needs; stay abreast of inspection dates and reports related to health, fire, sanitation, and safety standards; maintain safe, secure, and healthy environment by establishing, following, and enforcing sanitation standards and procedures.
• Uphold Administrative Service Standards: promptly respond to customer and company email and phone communications; assist with responding to customer credit card disputes; communicate to FOH management any customer complaints.
• Collaborative team player: work with other department leaders to merge and harmonize all aspects of the business, this includes sales, marketing, social media, brewing program, cocktail program, restaurant operations, outside events, and taproom events.
Human resources management
• Accomplish Company Human Resource Objectives: recruit top industry professionals; train, coach, counsel, and discipline staff; clearly communicate job expectations, policies, and procedures; lead by example; review staff job contributions and compensation levels.
• Maximize Labor: employ fewer, highly-skilled, better-compensated workers; work with managers to adjust scheduling to match customer volumes; communicate effectively all site specials, promotions, policy changes, and company events and local happenings.
• Have a thorough understanding of the brewing process, our everyday beers, and our seasonal and experimental styles of beer.
• Have a thorough knowledge of North Carolina ABC laws and hold staff accountable for compliance.
• Bachelor’s degree preferred but not required
• 3+ years of high volume bar/taproom/restaurant senior management experience
• Proven track record of building and growing strong and diverse teams
• Strong business acumen
• Dynamic, action-oriented team player that is self-motivated and confident in making independent decisions
• Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
• High sense of urgency
• Ability to work nights and weekends
• Familiarity with restaurant POS and back-office systems
Physical demands and work environment:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions. While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to be on feet, standing or walking/moving briskly, for several hours at a time. The employee is required to bend, squat, crawl, kneel, push, pull, and lift kegs (with help) stand; walk; sit; reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift or move a minimum of 20 pounds. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to high.
Compensation and benefits:
• Salaried, Exempt
• Health insurance reimbursement
• Paid Time Off (vacation, personal and sick days)
• Weekly Beer Stipend