Freelance Pre-Press/ Production Designer will assist the Zeal Creative team in building & proofing pre-press mechanical files for Zeal Concept products & printed materials. Our product lines include stationery, home décor, kitchen textiles, candles, and more. This role collaborates closely with the Design Manager and Creative Director to ensure final files are accurate and press-ready as well as maintaining archives. Qualified candidates must have exemplary proofing skills, solid project management, and organizational skills, great attention to detail, and drive to meet high expectations of quality, teamwork, and performance. Freelance Pre-Press/ Production Designer will work on projects on an as-needed basis.
This is a mid- or experienced-level freelance Production Designer position that is part-time (hourly/contract) in Charlotte, NC. Work will primarily be remote and over video calls (due to COVID-19) but the designer must able to come to our Ballantyne office (masked & with social distance protocols) for project & sample reviews.
• Build templates & mechanicals using InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator while applying your technical knowledge of digital and print
• Pick up files from other Creative Team staff and build out bleeds, fill out specifications, proof for errors, and prepare files for overseas vendors
• Ensure final mechanicals are accurate and error-free, including file construction, organization and prepping of files for print or digital output (print repeats, bleeds, crop marks, etc.)
• Maintain archives of final mechanicals and photography files
• Maintain all current and historical art files on SharePoint.
• Work on multiple design projects, with the flexibility to switch back and forth with ease
• Follow workflows, project and file management protocol
• Meet deadlines set forth by Design Manager and successfully communicate estimated timelines and project details with key stakeholders
• 5+ years of experience in pre-press for the printed product (such as consumer packaging and paper goods) and preparing files for production and/or press
• Previous experience proofing press files
• A strong, dynamic portfolio that displays previous work in print, consumer packaged goods, and/or technical packs/mechanicals
• Expert skills in Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, and the latest design software & tools
• High proficiency in Excel, Microsoft Office programs, and other required workplace software
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Strong listening skills & experience assimilating feedback with a high level of attention-to-detail
• Demonstrate self-motivated, pro-active thinking and problem-solving ability with a growth mindset
• Possess strong organizational and multi-tasking skills, with the ability to prioritize tasks
• Experience following workflows and file management systems
Please submit a resume and PDF portfolio or a link to your portfolio website to firstname.lastname@example.org . Applications without a portfolio will not be considered.