Office and Technology Coordinator
At Heart Math Tutoring, we believe volunteer tutors can be a powerful resource for students if given tools and support, and we believe all children can achieve high levels of understanding in math – a critical competency impacting long-term opportunity. As such, Heart Tutoring recruits and supports over 1,300 volunteers as tutors across 23 Charlotte elementary schools with a mission of ensuring that all elementary students develop a strong foundation in math and enthusiasm for academics needed for long-term success. We focus on students who are economically disadvantaged in low opportunity areas. The program became a 501c3 nonprofit in July 2014. To date, 98% of Heart students have met program growth goals, and over 90% of math teachers report that students show increased enthusiasm and/or confidence towards academics because of the program. Over the next five years, Heart Tutoring seeks to grow its services from supporting 1,190 students (23 schools) to 2,000 students (35-40 schools) in Charlotte while sharing the model with other cities. Visit www.hearttutoring.org for more information.
This position is critical to the backbone and infrastructure of the organization, supporting Heart Tutoring’s staff and systems so that the program and organization can be effective.
The Office and Technology Coordinator will report to the Business Operations Manager and is a member of the Business Operations Team. They will participate fully in staff-wide planning, strategy, and team building and will be a critical member of Heart’s dedicated and talented team of 30 (12 FTEs, 18 Part-Time).
We anticipate that the new coordinator can work with their manager to establish a regular schedule that involves being available 4 hours per day during business hours, 5 days per week. The role currently involves a mix of in-person and remote responsibilities. In the current COVID-19 environment, this role requires in-person office support 1x per week, with the other four days remote. Other Heart employees are currently working remotely for the foreseeable future. Absent the COVID-19 environment, this role will require in-person office work for at least 4 of the five days, and there may be interim office plans in the meantime in the event of a staged reopening (2-3 days per week).
• Office Management and Administrative Support – Oversee office supplies, office functionality, office vendors (utilities, landlord), orderliness, and cleanliness and administer Heart’s general phone line, email, and PO Box.
• Technology Management – Oversee Heart’s IT managed services vendor provider; plan, manage, and support staff software and hardware needs; make recommendations to ensure technology is functioning and secure.
• Human Resources Administration – Execute employee onboarding/offboarding processes; submit payroll; track PTO; research policy and HR compliance.
• Manage relationships with Office, IT, and HR Vendors (healthcare insurance, retirement, landlord, etc.).
• Communication skills (written and verbal)
• Organization skills and attention to detail
• Discretion, maturity, and interpersonal skills
• Proven ability to learn and/or troubleshoot technical items
• Interested in working in a startup environment which requires flexibility and solutions-oriented attitude
• Preferred: Experience and proficiency with Microsoft Office (Outlook, Excel, Word, Powerpoint), G-Suite products, and strong file-sharing practices (within Dropbox or other systems)
• Preferred: Two years of work experience with exposure to Technology, HR, Office Management, or Startup Operations
• Student-centered – Has demonstrated passion for Heart’s specific mission. Does what is best for students first, when conflicts arise.
• Gratitude – Is comfortable with and will contribute to a culture of philanthropy. Celebrates students, tutors, donors, and schools and believes working with those stakeholders is a privilege.
• Growth-Mindset – Has proven to be a reflective & resourceful learner.
• Precision and Professionalism – Believes in the importance of data and attention to detail. Is ready to contribute to a high-touch experience for Heart constituents.
• Civic Engagement – Has a track record of volunteerism and contributions to the community, with the belief that the community succeeds together.
$20.00 per hour
Submit the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org, use the subject line, “2020 Office and Tech Coordinator”, and address correspondence to Erin Riley.
• Resume – standard format including education and GPA, work, and volunteer experience
• Cover letter – standard, 1-page format explaining your interest in the role and why you believe you are a good fit