Epic Report Writer
Due to the diversity of responsibilities of the role, the ideal candidate will be a competent and resourceful individual with a background in healthcare informatics. The staff member in this role will analyze, provide specifications for, and write individual reports utilizing skills in SQL and Crystal Reports. Working with the Epic and Data Analytics team, they will focus on system support, maintenance, analysis, design, specifications documentation, change control, and versioning of all reporting components used to build, manage, and perform reporting.
• Collaborate with Subject Matter Experts and members of leadership to analyze trends and provide solutions to areas of opportunity.
• Define report requirements; design/develop/test/install/implements report-based programs; report programming designs; and code/test/debug/document system scripts, programs, and reports in application, web, and database environments.
• Validate model system reports and identify advanced reporting needs with report consumers.
• Meet with Epic application coordinators and report consumers to understand their reporting needs.
• Design and document the general functional requirements and detailed technical specifications for a report/database.
• Assess reporting needs for senior leadership and shareholders through investigations, analysis, and evaluation to create desired reports.
• Receive and document formal requests including specifications (layout, calculations, data source, etc.)
• Create complex operational and project-related reports including analysis, design, documentation, versioning development, configuration, testing, implementation, and ongoing support for Epic Clarity and Chronicles reports.
• Maintain existing reports and analyze/evaluate requirements for new modified reports/databases.
• Maintain data integrity and the ongoing quality control of delivered reports. Validate system build/reports designs, perform audits, and report findings of security and data controls.
• Consult with and advise vendors and technical groups concerning the continued support of reports and databases.
• Recommend changes to established guidelines, standards, methodologies, and conventions as appropriate.
• Analyze, design, document, develop, test, implement, and maintain reporting user interfaces including alerts, prompts, screens, dashboards, and templates.
• Prepare report management documentation to manage reports library, track project progress, and report problems in a timely fashion. Provide documentation and training to transfer knowledge.
• Collaborate and partner with executive leadership, shareholders, and leaders within information systems, clinic operations, management, and reporting. Document main points, issues, and key decisions.
• In-depth knowledge and experience with relational database concepts and query tools. Sound knowledge of SQL tuning and data extraction methodologies. Ability to use OLAP and OLTP technologies along with knowledge of data warehouses/data stores and data marts to execute SQL query techniques.
• Strong background in programming, systems analysis, design, and problem solving.
• The ability to translate user requirements into functional & design specifications, communicate with report consumers to gather specifications, review designs, present drafts, and validate results.
• Possess comprehensive knowledge of healthcare-related operations, procedures/functions, and the relationships between them.
• Demonstrate the ability to build relationships and effectively communicate with the project team and key clinical stakeholders, including business services, nurses, and physicians. Work closely and collaboratively with other project team members including business and clinical leaders.
• Demonstrate leadership abilities by participating and sometimes facilitating building, planning, and problem-solving discussions with project teams, clinicians, and leadership.
• Strong organization, analysis, and problem-solving skills required, with an emphasis on attention to detail and the ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously.
• Excellent business analytical skills and general knowledge of statistics.
• The ability to adapt to a changing environment, solve problems, and develop solutions.
• Strong documentation and communication skills.
• Experience with Microsoft Office or similar software required.
• Knowledge of reporting programs and tools reports creation and maintenance, including Epic Reporting Workbench, Epic Clarity, Chronicles, and Crystal Reports writing would be preferred but not required.
• Experience with business or clinical computer systems in the areas of data/information warehousing data and reporting of such data required. Solid understanding of computer systems, interfaces, software, and IT functions.
• Familiar with HIPAA, JCAHO and other regulations that impact hospitals and clinics.
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Business Administration or Health Information Management, or approved equivalent combination of education and experience. Three years of additional related experience may be substituted in lieu of educational requirement.
• Strong working knowledge of SQL and Crystal Reporting required.
• Network computer software applications, practice management software and applicable electronic medical record software.
• Must be proficient working with technology and Microsoft Office products to create teaching, learning and documentation materials.
• Possess an understanding of computer system capabilities to address process requirements.
• Strong problem solving and communication skills, both written and oral.
• Excellent organization skills.
• Experience in report writing and utilizing tools like Crystal Reports and MS-Access is required.
• Must be able to manage multiple priorities while functioning in a wide range of administrative, management and patient care environments.
• Ability to lead meetings, prioritize, resolve conflicts, maintain issues lists, and manage a project plan.
• Ability to read, write and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos and appropriate document patient encounter within scope of responsibility. Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide. Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions.
Strong candidates would have a background in healthcare informatics and have a passion for solving problems by providing data and analysis that positively impact quality outcomes. CEENTA will pay for all necessary training, including the opportunity to obtain certification in Epic’s software. Certification must be obtained within 3 months of hire date.