Fall 2020 Communications Intern
Hornets Sports & Entertainment is looking for a college junior, senior or graduate student to serve as an intern for the Communications department. The Communications intern will assist the department with various day-to-day tasks including developing content for various platforms for the organization and assisting in the creation of media releases.
This is a non-paid internship and requires the individual to receive college credit to be considered (no exceptions). You will receive two payments of a $1,000.00 stipend. The stipend is provided for transportation, food and parking expenses. You will need to be able to work 20-40 hours per week. Hours will include evenings and/or weekends, including Hornets games and potentially some arena events.
The Fall 2020 program runs from September 2nd, 2020 to December 11th, 2020.
• Assisting with research, writing and editing of player bios, media releases and other materials
• Assisting with updating team statistical records and historical information
• Assisting with promoting team’s non-basketball initiatives such as community events, ticket sales and corporate partnerships
• Developing and editing content for various organizational platforms, including external publications and internal communications
• Distributing public relations material to staff and fans as requested
• Responding to media inquiries
• Maintaining media lists
• You must receive college credit
• Pursuit of a Communications, Public Relations, Journalism, Sports Management or English degree is preferred
• Great communication, writing, research, and editing skills
• Knowledge of AP style
• Previous experience in a college sports information office, school newspaper or sports team is preferred
• Knowledge of basketball/basketball statistics is a plus
• Strong time management skills and the ability to prioritize tasks when given clearly defined goals and objectives
• Be able to maintain confidentiality and use discretion when privy to sensitive information
• Be a flexible and reliable teammate, both within the department and the company as a whole
• Thrive in a dynamic, deadline driven environment
• Present self in a professional manner and have the ability to interact with all levels of the organization and outside contacts
• Ability to multi-task and to work extended hours, including nights and weekends, if necessary