Principal Product Designer
At Wells Fargo, we want to satisfy our customers’ financial needs and help them succeed financially. We’re looking for talented people who will put our customers at the center of everything we do. Join our diverse and inclusive team where you’ll feel valued and inspired to contribute your unique skills and experience.
Help us build a better Wells Fargo. It all begins with outstanding talent. It all begins with you.
The Wells Fargo Experience Design (XD) team designs experiences that people love and confidently engage to improve their financial lives. We work closely with Technology and Product Management to ensure we are problem-driven (versus solution) and customer-first. While we have individual expertise across product design, research, content strategy and operations, we all operate as empowered leaders with strong design rationale. As a team, we care about each other yet believe in radical candor, want to have fun while we work, and are obsessed with what’s most important to our 30+ million customers and incorporating their voices into every decision!
The Principal Product Designer partners with Research, Product, Engineering, Marketing, and Data Analytics to ensure our most important product design initiatives are grounded in an overarching experience strategy with a clear line of sight to customer and business outcomes. The Principal Product Designer ensures there is a mapping of the customer journey and these journeys are supported with the appropriate solutions, rationale and artifacts to solve customer problems in market. They will be expected to lead initiatives which bring together senior stakeholders to drive collaboration, understanding and decision making. This role does not have direct reports but will be expected to lead multidisciplinary teams in a variety of design initiatives from customer insights development to prototyping new digital experiences.
• You’re a broad-minded design leader with proven success delivering great experiences that cross mobile, web, and beyond.
• You are an expert at Product Design and Product Strategy, strong in adjacent practices such as Information Architecture, Content Strategy/UX Writing, User Research and Prototyping.
• You prefer working in the fuzzy ambiguity of ‘Big Picture’ strategic challenges, and partner with executives on crucial initiatives that touch many teams. You wield methods and tools to tame such complexity and emerge with elegant solutions.
• Though you’re primarily oriented on the big picture, you appreciate the importance of addressing the details, and can help others connect the two. You have a strong point-of-view and articulate robust design rationales.
• You bring cross-functional teams together through a facilitative leadership style.
• You spend considerable time not just solving problems, but framing them to ensure teams are focused specifically on what’s worth doing and are delivering in a coordinated fashion, tying them together in service of the larger end-to-end experience.
• You enjoy collaborating with a wide range of product managers, developers, business analysts, designers and other design leaders to create the best customer experience.
• Finally, you are organized and like getting things done. You are energized by shipping and you have clear examples of measurable impact.
• Leading the delivery of sites or applications, in partnership with your cross-functional peers and the larger design team, in the areas of: online and mobile banking, payments, financial education, and onboarding.
• Develop and articulate the methods and approaches for framing and solving design problems.
Overseeing the creation of common design deliverables including: Research Insights, Flows, Wireframes, Design Specifications, Prototypes, and Content Decks.
• Participate in the creation of strategic design deliverables, including: research insights, strategy decks, customer journeys, visions of future experiences.
• Providing mentorship and other guidance to help designers deliver their best work.
• Drive innovation and customer value through customer research, continuous integration and delivery, automated testing, and reduced release cycle times.
• Partnering closely with leadership across product management, delivery, development, UX research, business analysis, and legal/compliance, to drive alignment on customer and business goals, developing a program of work to achieve those goals, focusing efforts of the team on what really matters, and manage expectations about design deliverables, and shipping the ultimate experience.
• Leading the delivery of Value Stream customer journeys across products, services, and capabilities. Managing and prioritizing the Value Stream backlog, and translating that to scrum teams as they estimate and scope design work.
• You will practice facilitative leadership to enable smooth and productive collaboration with product development peers, executives, and other key stakeholders, driving towards solutions that incorporate a wide range of inputs, and resulting in others learning from you and inspiring others to want to work with you.
• Working with scrum team designers and product owners to review and critique the details of the design deliverables and user stories, posing questions, and resolving ambiguities.
• Responsible for the UX vision and roadmap spanning multiple funding cycles. Work with multiple high-level stakeholders to prioritize and plan work based on customer and business KPIs.
• Recognized as an expert in the digital technology industry. May represent the Enterprise externally as a leading digital expert in the financial industry and/or councils and associations.
• 10+ years of experience in one or a combination of the following: digital customer experience, digital product/program management, digital platforms, or digital consulting.
• Financial services industry experience.
• Knowledge and understanding of project management principles: managing projects from beginning to end; that vary in scope and complexity.
• Leadership experience,
• Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
• Outstanding problem solving and decision-making skills.
• Strong presentation skills.
• 10+ years’ experience producing mobile and web products that lead to measurable business/customer impact
2+ years’ experience working in an agile environment, with distributed teams and agile delivery tools (e.g., JIRA, Confluence).
• Of the following skills, demonstrated mastery/expertise in 2, and strength in 2 more: Interaction Design, Visual Design, Product Strategy, Information Architecture, Content Strategy, User Research, and Prototyping.
• Experience leading a program of work across multiple teams through the full product development cycle (discovery, concepts, prototypes, specs).
• Consistently articulate a strong design rationale; storytelling skills that compel stakeholders; connect design decisions to broader strategic and business decisions; comfort presenting to all levels of seniority.
• Experience managing creative design efforts in a complex environment.
• Expertise with common design tools (e.g., InVision, Sketch, Photoshop).
$105,000 Mid: $150,000