Community Affairs Manager
The City of Charlotte is the largest municipality in North Carolina and the 17th largest city in the United States, with a total population of more than 872,498 citizens. A major commerce center, Charlotte hosts several of the nation’s largest banks and technology companies.
Also known as the Queen City, Charlotte is home to the Carolina Panthers, the Charlotte Hornets and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. We work hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn, and play. Join us in helping to keep our City thriving, ensuring upward mobility and advancement in the workplace.
The Community Affairs Team’s work aligns with CLT’s strategic priority of Strong Partnerships in the fulfillment of Aviation’s vision to serve as an economic engine of the Carolinas, facilitating the movement of people and goods, creating jobs and enterprise, and sustaining a higher quality of life.
The Community Affairs Manager is responsible for the development and implementation of strategies designed to represent the Aviation Department favorably and make positive contributions to the community. This position will lead the Community Affairs team in the creation and planning of programs that engage and support the community and employees. You will be responsible for developing and expanding relationships with community organizations and leaders. The ideal candidate is someone with a demonstrated history of building strong relationships across the private, public, and social sectors, possesses a strong sense of mission, and has extensive direct and indirect supervisory experience.
• Manage Community Affairs staff and its programs for community engagement in the areas of education, economic mobility, and youth and families. Program management includes team execution, framework creation, and development of policies and procedures. Personnel management includes multiple direct and indirect staff with review, professional development, and hiring responsibility
• Develop strong relationships that can be leveraged to enhance the overall community engagement program. Identify and manage integrated partnership opportunities to increase positive social impact in the local community and deepen social collaborations between Aviation, its business partners, and community groups
• Balance federal guidelines and competing purposes within the Aviation Department and among partners to create mutually agreed-upon goals and positive outcomes
• Oversee program for raising awareness and education in the community of Charlotte Douglas International Airport and its economic impact on the region, including the management of CLT’s Aviation Academy
• Responsible for annual CLT Charity Golf Tournament, including overseeing the selection of beneficiary charity, sponsorship engagement, and working with tournament manager in executing event
• Direct employee volunteer initiatives through the CLT Soars program. Oversee the management of volunteer events and engagement opportunities for the Aviation Department staff. Establish and report to senior management on benchmarks related to employee volunteer efforts. Promote volunteer effort outcomes through multiple platforms. Foster employee involvement on non-profit community boards of directors, including recruitment, training, programs, and recognition
• Responsible for fielding high-priority community relations issues, such as referrals from government entities, advocacy agencies, etc.
• Strategize with Communications, Marketing, and Executives to ensure CLT is well-positioned in the community with proper messaging. Has a thorough understanding of the workings of the Airport and the Aviation Department
• Represents the organization at events and participates in civic organizations
• Develop and implement policies and procedures for department to standardize practices as necessary
• Works with internal Marketing and Communications teams to create and activate messaging and creative materials. Work closely to launch new initiatives with appropriate internal and external stakeholders
• Conduct appropriate research and make recommendations regarding appropriate external partnerships
• Strategic mindset, critical thinker, and innovative problem-solver
• Ability to build an integrated network of partnerships and collaborations with public, private, and community organizations
• Strong communications skills across organizational levels and with varied stakeholders
• Ability to lead with influence and support transformation of the corporate culture
• Experience developing and managing community programs, including event management experience
• Excellent public speaking and presentation skills
• Demonstrated ability to oversee complex and detailed projects from concept to completion
• Detail-oriented with the ability to delegate to staff, volunteers, and vendors
• Ability to understand the goals and motivations of multiple stakeholders
• High School Graduate (or equivalent) and seven years related work experience, or Associate’s Degree and five years related work experience, or Bachelor’s Degree and three years related work experience, or Master’s Degree and one year related work experience
• Preferred degree in community relations/affairs, marketing, public relations/affairs, communications, business, or related field
• Preferred work experience in public relations, corporate management, non-profit management, community relations, or related field
• Airport or aviation experience a plus
$66,047.00 – $82,558.00/year