JazzArts Charlotte is a Charlotte-based nonprofit arts organization committed to connecting community and developing an audience for jazz through quality education, performance and musician support. Established in 2009 by co-founders Lonnie and Ocie Davis, JazzArts strives to serve as a catalyst for cultural enrichment and music education that brings creative inspiration to the lives of people in the Charlotte region.
Since its founding, JazzArts has grown considerably to include two primary programmatic offerings: the JAZZ ROOM @ The Stage Door Theatre and a JazzArts Academy comprised of youth workshops and ensembles, camps, and outreach to local schools. The JAZZ ROOM is a multi-performance, monthly concert offering in uptown Charlotte taking place on Friday and Saturday nights (with extended weekends including Thursday). Earned revenue from the JAZZ ROOM coupled with contributed revenue fuels the JazzArts Academy, which provides jazz music education for thousands of students annually.
To learn more about JazzArts Charlotte please visit: www.TheJazzArts.org
To further activate this group and steward JazzArts Charlotte’s dedicated group of subscribers and patrons, a part-time Development Manager is being sought with the goal of increasing contributed revenue. JazzArts has received multi-year grant support to undergird the initial expense of this role. With increased revenue from development efforts, the organization desires to increase the Development Manager role over time while further augmenting staffing to support continued programmatic growth.
The Development Manager will provide flexible fundraising support at 20-25 hours per week. S/he will have the unique opportunity to support JazzArts through a period of growth and change. The Development Manager’s primary responsibilities are to work with the founders, board of directors, and the Jazz Guild to identify, cultivate, solicit and steward a portfolio of subscribers and audience members to generate contributed revenue in support of educational programming. Reporting to the President, the Development Manager will be responsible for the following:
Annual Fund Management
• Lead the effort to increase charitable support of JazzArts Charlotte’s education, performance and musician support mission
• Work with President to set annual revenue goals and affirm development activity
• Manage calendar of fundraising activity, responsible for achieving milestones
• Manage a portfolio of 60-70 prospect/donor relationships
• Create written donor appeals and acknowledgements
• Provide management of the Jazz Guild, engaging them in service to annual constituent acquisition and donation goals
• Provide logistical support for quarterly Jazz Guild events designed to build a sense of belonging for audience members and new constituents
• Identify potential Guild members and orient them to volunteer service
Development Systems Management
• Ensure JazzArts has a strong system for maintaining up-to-date and accurate records of contacts with donors and prospects, overseeing Altru database system and facilitating strong fidelity of data
• Partner with Marketing staff member on messaging and a moves management model
• Bachelor’s degree
• At least 2-3 years of professional experience; non-profit grant management experience preferred
• Understanding and passion for the organization’s mission
• Strong interpersonal communication skills; high-energy, proactive, self-starting administrator with the disposition to work in a virtual environment
• Team player who will be a constructive and collegial partner to board, staff, and external stakeholders; demonstrated experience managing up
• Proven writing, editing, and oral communication skills
• Ability to attend meetings and events during evening hours and weekends as needed
• Tech-savvy, proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, and experience with Altru/Raiser’s Edge database platform preferred
All inquiries, nominations, and applications are to be directed via e-mail at email@example.com. Applications must include a cover letter and CV. Please indicate where you learned of the opportunity. Subject line: JazzArts Development Manager Position. No phone calls.