Director, Research Computing
We provide highly reliable information technology infrastructure, tools, and services to empower the University to achieve its academic, research, administrative, and service goals.
The Director of Research Computing manages the group responsible for supporting the high-performance computing environment as well as research-based servers and software. This group is composed of system and storage administrators, programmers, visualization analysts, and training specialists who work directly with researchers. This role develops and maintains relationships with academic departments, other departments in ITS, and the national research computing and data community. The Director of Research Computing has the depth of technical knowledge and proven judgment and integrity to guide their team and implement a strategy that engages academic researchers and staff, and provide high-level technological support in alignment with the mission of the organization. The Director provides leadership and oversight of the core functions of high-performance computing and research support to ensure service excellence, efficiency, and operational effectiveness.
• Manage large and technical projects of varying scale, budgets, and resources to assure high quality, quantity, and efficient operation of deployed solutions.
• Develop 1, 3, and 5-year technical plans based on campus needs and technology trends and perform routine strategic reviews to ensure campus technology needs are being met and technologies are in line with ITS goals.
• Interface with the research community to ensure research technology needs are being met.
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in a related field
• 5+ years of management experience
• Demonstrated experience in high-performance computing design and deployment
• Demonstrated experience with server, network and security technologies
• Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills
• Experience in managing as well as in negotiating vendor contracts and agreements with service providers
• Experience in supervising, coaching, and mentoring diverse information technology professionals
• Significant supervisory and administrative experience with increasing responsibility, preferably in an educational setting
• Successful experience working, collaborating, and establishing credibility and relationships with senior leadership, colleagues, and clients
• Demonstrated experience as a thought leader and innovator
• Advanced degree from an accredited college or university in a related field
• Demonstrated experience in the development of high-performance computing solutions that support the research, scholarship, and learning focus of a research university