STIR, a restaurant with everything from an oyster bar to artisan ice, is now open in The RailYard in South End.
STIR Charlotte is be the restaurant’s third location, joining the flagship restaurant in Chattanooga and a location in Raleigh.
“At a challenging time in the hospitality industry, we’re proud to join the neighborhood in moving forward safely and are eager to help put deserving restaurant professionals back to work,” Charlotte general manager Dennis Korn says.
The South End restaurant, located at 1422 South Tryon Street, is just over 6,000 square feet. That includes courtyard patio seating, roll-up garage doors for walk-up bar access, a private room that seats 50, and an open kitchen.
Cocktails: STIR is known for its drinks — from cocktails on draft to house barrel aged cocktails. It has 350+ liquors available, plus beer and wine. Here are the cocktail menu highlights.
- Elderflower sour – This cocktail on draft is made with vodka, St. Germain Elderflower, Monin Lime, house-made ginger syrup, and cucumber.
- Hemingway daiquiri – Made to order with aged rum, Maraschino Liqueur, fresh grapefruit and fresh lime juice, and sugar cane syrup.
- The Boulevardier: Aged in American white oak barrels, this cocktail is made with rye whiskey, Campari, Italian vermouth, and Peychaud’s Bitters.
Artisan ice: Ice isn’t an afterthought at STIR. First, it takes three days to create 300-pound blocks of purified ice by a Clinebell machine. Then the ice is cut into one of seven drink-specific shapes, designed to melt in a way that doesn’t water down the cocktail.
Eats: Diners can enjoy lunch, dinner, and weekend brunch. Its raw bar includes local oysters, poke, and different style ceviches. It also has extensive menu items from its scratch kitchen. Here are a few dishes that caught our eye:
- Fried green tomatoes – A Southern classic. But these are topped house-made pimento cheese, tomato relish, and cotija cheese.
- Scallops, shrimp, and white cheddar mac and cheese – In addition to having seafood covered in cheese, this dish is made with white truffle oil. Enough said.
- Spicy tuna burger – Not an average handheld. It has a sriracha-infused egg, pickled tomato, and is served with the always necessary French fries.
- Matcha green tea cheesecake – This cast iron dessert has a saltine cracker crust, macerated berries, and like all good desserts, whipped cream.
Brunch drink deals: On weekends from 10:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m., expect $5 Bloody Marys, $1 classic or apple cider mimosas, and $10 giant mason jar mimosas that serve 10.
Giving back: When you order the Austin Mule at STIR, the restaurant will donate $2 to the Isabella Santos Foundation, an ongoing partner of the restaurant and a local organization that raises money and awareness for rare pediatric cancer research. The campaign runs through August.
Location/hours: Find STIR in The RailYard at 1422 South Tryon Street, Suite 130, near North Italia and Rhino Market. STIR is open Monday through Thursday, 11 a.m. to midnight; Friday, 11 a.m. to 1 a.m.; Saturday, 10:30 a.m. to 1 a.m.; and Sunday 10:30 a.m. to midnight. Make reservations here.
Let’s take a closer look inside: