We’re one of the fastest-growing homeownership companies in America. Why? Because we’re making homeownership simpler, faster – and most importantly, more accessible for all Americans.
By combining smarter technology with a desire to not just change one piece of the journey but the entire makeup of what it’s like to buy and own a home in this country, we’re building things that don’t exist yet.
Better.com by the numbers:
• We fund $600 million in home loans per month
• Nearly $5 billion in loans funded since our inception in 2016
• 2 years running, we’re one of Crain’s “Best Places to work”
• We’re #11 on Fortune’s Best Places to Work in NYC
• And #964 on Inc.’s 2019 “5000 Fastest-Growing Companies”
• We’ve secured over $254 million from our investors to date
We continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We’ve recently joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank. Plus, our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, IA Ventures, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, and others have all invested in our vision of redefining the entire homebuying journey.
As a Loan Processing Expert, you will be responsible for conducting detailed credit analysis of loan applications and managing the collection of all required loan documentation to obtain final credit approval. The ideal candidate will be a highly organized communicator capable of making sound decisions while maintaining composure in a fast-paced environment.
Beyond producing high-quality loans, our goal is to build a product that will ultimately reduce the cost of homeownership in America. With offices in New York, San Francisco, Costa Mesa, and Gurgaon, we are quickly expanding in order to deliver a delightful borrower experience through a combination of technology and people.
In joining our Charlotte team, you will have a unique opportunity to join a fast-growing team and play a critical role in delivering on the Better mission.
• Perform a thorough analysis of applicant’s income and expense data, self-employment documentation, credit reports, and property valuations in order to affirm borrower qualifies for a loan
• Verify and analyze all necessary financial information and documentation and ensure that loan files contain all necessary credit and legal documents to satisfy underwriting conditions
• Calculate qualifying ratios, determine creditworthiness
• Proactively manage a pipeline in a timely, accurate, and efficient manner.
• Request and manage the organization of borrower loan documentation
• Work effectively with cross-functional teams in Operations (title, valuations, underwriting, closing) to close loans
• 2-4+ years of experience processing (or underwriting) FNMA, FHLMC, FHA and Jumbo mortgages
• Knowledge of agency conventional underwriting product guidelines
• Familiarity with Desktop Underwriter (DU)
• Strong communication, organization, and time management skills
• Ability to troubleshoot and solve problems independently
• Ability to maintain composure in a fast-paced environment
Things we value:
• Curiosity. Why? How? Repeat.
• Nerdiness. Financial news and trends are fascinating. Seriously.
• Relentlessness. No one here gives up. We try. We fail. We try again.
• Passion: If you don’t get excited about helping people get into and stay in the home of their dreams then this simply won’t work.
• Smarts: book and street. We have to use all the tools at our disposal to build Better.
• Empathy and Compassion: You understand that people’s biggest dreams are in your hands.
• Communication. Can you ask for help or put your hand up when you don’t understand?
• Building. Doing. Making: Yes, we have to do a lot of thinking and talking to figure this stuff out, but you can’t wait to leave the conversation and build it.