Senior Writer/Editor – Panthers.com
The Carolina Panthers are hiring a seasoned writer to report news and enterprise engaging stories. The ideal candidate should have experience working a beat, from covering all angles on game day to providing practice observations and conducting interviews inside and outside the locker room. The reporter who fills this position will not be expected to focus solely on positive angles. Instead, the top candidate will be able to use his or her inside access to help educate fans on why things are happening to provide a level of transparency that is uncommon on most team websites.
• Write stories for Panthers.com, including but not limited to breaking news, transactions, explainers and long-form features.
• Act as website’s managing editor, organizing all written content while maintaining a content calendar.
• Ideate and submit story pitches throughout the week.
• Cover all team practices, press conferences, and games, both home and away, as well as NFL events such as the Combine and Draft.
• Interview players, coaches and staff in a wide range of circumstances to find unique story angles.
• Cover breaking news with quick, insightful analysis.
• Develop strong working relationships with coaches, players and staff members.
• Manage seasonal writing intern.
• Help proofread/edit other written content on Panthers.com.
• Use analytics and monitor fan feedback on all digital media platforms to help understand how stories resonate.
• Work with platform manager to optimize posts through SEO best practices.
• Maintain an engaging and knowledgeable voice on social media.
• Perform some on-camera work and contribute to podcasts.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• 3-5 years covering professional or collegiate sports in a full-time role
• Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism, Communications or other related/appropriate majors
• Strong journalism skills
• Experience using content management systems
• Flexibility to work non-traditional hours, including nights, weekends and holidays is a must
• Must pass pre-employment screens
• Must have and share link to website and reel
• Broadcast journalism experience (preferred)
• Excellent attention to detail and a mastery of the written language.
• Ability to write quickly and meet deadlines
• Constantly strive for creativity and show initiative to present innovative ideas
• Must be able to maintain a professionalism at all times and navigate the sensitive relationship between a reporter and football personnel
• Works well under pressure while maintaining a positive attitude
• Must be a team player, reliable, and dependable
• Ability to make sound decisions and exercise discretion with integrity and accountability, while working in a fast-paced, high-demand, and sometimes strenuous environment
• Passion for digital media
• Must maintain complete confidentiality of privileged, and/or sensitive information
• Must, at all times, display the character and values of the Tepper Sports & Entertainment brand
• Must be able to multi-task while managing time successfully
• Must be able to respond positively to criticism
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Proactive self-starter with the ability to take and follow direction
• Standing and walking for extended periods of time
• Sitting and working at desk on a computer
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear
• Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus
• Lift at least 25 pounds
This job operates mostly in an office environment and outside in a stadium facility at times which may include inclement weather conditions. Some travel may be required for away game and various off-site projects.