Director of Corporate Communications
Ally Financial Inc. (NYSE: ALLY) is a leading digital financial services company and a top 25 U.S. financial holding company offering financial products for consumers, businesses, automotive dealers and corporate clients. Ally’s legacy dates back to 1919, and the company was redesigned in 2009 with a distinctive brand, innovative approach and relentless focus on its customers. Ally has an award-winning online bank (member FDIC), one of the largest full service auto finance operations in the country, a complementary auto-focused insurance business, a growing digital wealth management and online brokerage platform, and a trusted corporate finance business offering capital for equity sponsors and middle-market companies.
The Marketing Team is made up of dedicated world class marketing and communications professionals who are responsible for the strategic development and execution of campaigns and initiatives to support Ally, its business lines and product offerings. In addition, the external communications arm of marketing is responsible for advancing Ally’s corporate reputation and promoting the company’s strategic objectives by developing and executing communications plans for the media and external stakeholders. Marketing also has responsibility for the Ally brand, social media, customer engagement, media relations and cross sell efforts. Additionally, the marketing team oversees enterprise research and delivers insight, tools and trends to the enterprise.
We extend equal employment opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual’s age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy status, marital status, military or veteran status, genetic disposition or any other reason protected by law.
The Director of Corporate Communications is responsible for the successful development, planning, and execution of external communications strategies that align with the company’s vision and values, advance the company’s reputation, and support its business objectives. A critical focus will be collaborating with Investor Relations to clarify and advance key points in Ally’s corporate story through targeted media efforts, strategically leveraging the IR calendar to drive media engagement opportunities. In addition, as part of the Chief Marketing and Public Relations Officer’s organization, the position plays a critical role in telling Ally’s brand story. Reporting to the Senior Director of Public Relations, the position leads a team of three.
Ally’s compensation program offers market-competitive base pay and pay-for-performance incentives (bonuses) based on achieving personal and company goals. Plus, we have a flexible paid-time-off program including time off for volunteer opportunities.
• Develop proactive external communications strategies that position Ally and its executives as leaders in digital financial services, highlight Ally’s distinctive culture and elevate the company’s corporate reputation.
• Drive the development of consistent, cohesive and compelling messages in support of external communications strategies and activities, including media engagements and executive visibility programs.
• Execute tactical communications, including plans, press releases, FAQs, media materials, media pitches, etc.
• Cultivate strong relationships with key leaders and internal subject matter experts.
• Cultivate productive relationships with key business, consumer and trade media.
• Continually evaluate and prioritize media opportunities, actively managing press relationships to ensure maximized coverage of key corporate and business unit initiatives.
• Support crisis communications efforts, including the mobilization of rapid response.
• Work in close collaboration with Investor Relations team to clarify and advance key points in Ally’s corporate story through targeted media efforts, strategically leveraging the IR calendar (earnings, annual meeting, major announcements) to drive media engagement opportunities.
• Support IR with Annual Report design and content, and Annual Shareholders Meeting.
• Work in close collaboration with Corporate Citizenship team to support and amplify company’s community engagement initiatives.
• Evaluate and oversee continual enhancement of key corporate materials that reflect the Company and its leadership, including bios, one-sheets, website content, boilerplate, etc.
• Measure and analyze results of key initiatives and propose recommendations based on key learnings.
• Contribute to the effectiveness of the Marketing function, including participating in general departmental deliverables and forums and implementing best practices from the team.
• 15+ years in the public relations industry, including at least five years with senior management responsibility for corporate or financial communications, preferably for a publicly-traded financial services company.
• Familiarity with all aspects of public company communications requirements; strong knowledge of IR, legal and business factors that impact public company communication strategy.
• Experience working collaboratively across departments and lines of business.
• Experience managing executive positioning programs and providing strategic communications counsel and execution directly with C-Suite leadership.
• Demonstrated comfort with, and ability to thrive in, a highly dynamic, growth-focused environment.
• Experience working with agency partners to deliver strategic, high-impact results.
• Uncompromising ability to maintain confidentiality, exercise sound judgement and apply the highest levels of discretion.
• Bachelor’s degree required; MBA or relevant advanced degree preferred.
• Proven ability to foster a high-performing and healthy organizational culture.
• Excellent supervisory experience with track record of managing direct and indirect reports while developing individual skills, motivating the team to achieve, and inspiring peak performance.
• Alignment with the principals of servant leadership, putting best interests of organization and team before self.
• Strong commitment to collaboration and building trust-based relationships across functions and units, at all levels of an organization.
• Speaks credibly across multiple disciplines and environments.
• Motivates direct team and cross-functional partners under stressful and high-profile circumstances.
• Strong project management skills with demonstrated ability to multi-task and set priorities within tight timelines and high client expectations.
• Ability to take ownership of successful resolution of complex challenges.
• Writes clearly, succinctly, persuasively and quickly.
• Exceptional listening, verbal and presentation skills.
• Highly refined interpersonal skills demonstrated through a personable and measured communication style that conveys credibility.
• Knack for synthesizing insights and information into compelling narratives that advance company objectives.
• Deep understanding and familiarity with business, financial and tech media landscape, coupled with a proven track record for developing strong relationships with individual reports.
• Deep understanding and familiarity with the PESO model.
• Proven ability to design, develop and implement both strategic plans and supporting tactics.
• Demonstrated crisis management skills, including evaluating, mitigating, responding and recovering from crisis situations.
• Industry-leading 401K retirement savings plan with matching and company contributions
• Wellness program encouraging healthy living with financial rewards
• Flexible health insurance options including dental and vision
• Pre-tax Health Savings Account with generous employer contributions
• Pre-tax commuter benefits
• Other work-life integration benefits including parental and caregiver leave, adoption assistance, backup child and adult/elder day care program, child care discounts, tuition reimbursement, LifeMatters® Employee Assistance Program, subsidized and discounted Weight Watchers® program and other employee discount programs
Ally is an Equal Opportunity Employer