Girls on the Run International is a national nonprofit organization dedicated to creating a world where every girl knows and activates her limitless potential and is free to boldly pursue her dreams. We inspire girls to be joyful, healthy and confident using a fun, experience-based curriculum which creatively integrates running. Girls on the Run International is the headquarters operation of over 200 Councils in 50 states that serve 200,000+ girls a year and engage 100,000+ volunteers.
Girls on the Run believes that all girls and communities should have access to our programs. We strive to eliminate barriers to participation, to continue creating programming that engages all communities, to be intentional about staff and volunteer diversity and to promote a culture of inclusion across the organization.
Working closely with the Chief Engagement Officer and Board, the Public Relations Specialist will develop templates and resources to support the media relations activities of local Girls on the Run councils while completing specific projects that will increase awareness of the organization’s mission, vision, programming, and impact.
Hourly rate commensurate with experience. The application deadline is January 31st, 2020.
Principal Projects February-March (approximately 140 hours):
• Develop a comprehensive national media listing to include contacts who have previously covered Girls on the Run, with links to coverage and contacts that have covered relevant topics, with links to coverage
• Develop a press kit that will be available on www.girlsontherun.org
• Update media resources for councils, including media talking points, press release templates for core Girls on the Run activities, and local media lists
• Support Councils in Pitching
• Develop a process for identifying potential agenda-setting stories
• Provide councils with resources and guidance on how to secure stories of impact
• Pitch stories as appropriate
Ongoing Needs February-June (approximately 5 hours per week; not to exceed 80 hours):
• Development and distribution of press releases and calendar announcements to national media.
• Write, pitch and place stories in traditional and non-traditional media.
• Respond to media inquiries in accordance with media relations procedures and represents the organization in a professional manner to the media.
• Monitor key media outlets and websites for news and trends that will impact the organization and share with Engagement team and others as applicable.
• Bachelor’s degree in Communication, Journalism, Public Relations or related
• Solid relationships with editorial staff at key media targets
• Four or more years relevant experience in Community or Public Relations
• Experience in drafting press releases, pitch letters, statements, and talking points
• Self-motivated with the ability to set priorities and manage multiple tasks effectively and efficiently
• Ability to work under pressure and respond to deadlines without sacrificing quality
• Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to build relationships with internal and external stakeholders, and leverage those relationships to cultivate additional opportunities
• Strong customer service skills with excellent follow-up and follow-through
• Proficient in Office 365; media monitoring software experience preferred
• Enthusiasm combined with a genuine commitment to and passion for the mission of Girls on the Run
This position has been filled. To search all open positions, visit our Job Board.