Director, Group Sales
Plans and implements sales strategies to drive attendance and participation at the Discovery Place family of Museums including Discovery Place Science, Discovery Place Nature and Discovery Place Kids locations. Develops and maintains major client relationships, seeking to establish and renew annual partnership contracts. Directs the activities of the Manager, Guest Sales and works together to establish training protocols and sales strategies for the Guest Sales & Reservations team (Call Center) in order to meet revenue goals. Coordinates with departments across the organization to ensure seamless customer service for all groups.
• Develops sales strategies and plans to meet the revenue goals for each Museum and program. Directs implementation of plan to achieve goals.
• Directs the Manager, Guest Sales to lead the activities of the Call Center team.
• Educates, trains and motivates team to achieve revenue goals. Develops and refines employee skills, including sales training and feedback. Sets customer service standards. Builds a cohesive team.
• Runs and reviews weekly sales reports to analyze sales trends and develops plans to increase sales and revenue. • Adjusts activities of Manager, Guest Sales and Call Center to achieve goals.
• Develops and maintains major account relationships. Uses data and networking to prospect for new partnerships.
• Meets with current clients to maintain, renew and grow relationships.
• Works with Learning Experiences team to develop comprehensive proposals for potential school partners that respond to educational goals and help DP achieve sales goals.
• Prepares proposals, negotiates contracts, services accounts and analyzes lost business.
• Builds and maintains key relationships with members of the travel and tourism industry, schools, homeschools and other viable groups to foster continued growth of group sales.
• Attends key conferences and represents Discovery Place while establishing new relationships.
• Works with Marketing to develop sales materials for target market segments.
• Works with senior team to set annual goals for Museums and programs. Develops and manages department budget.
• Produces regular and accurate reports on sales progress, including sales forecasts, OKRs and year-over-year trend reports.
• Provides market feedback to Learning Experiences and Operations teams about client needs and product interests.
• Coordinates with Guest Services, Facilities, Public Programs and others as needed to ensure all groups have a flawless arrival and visit.
• Oversees sales support services including payment and A/R process and facilitation of ancillary revenues around the visit (e.g., lunch and catering).
• When needed, provides support to the Guest Sales & Reservations team by answering phones and responding to customer inquiries.
• Develops and maintains strong guest relationships through appropriate communications, negotiating skills, and the use of professional, courteous and ethical interactions.
• Investigates, responds and resolves customer service complaints as needed according to Discovery Place service standards.
• Develops and trains Call Center team on excellent customer service skills.
• Displays leadership in guest hospitality, exemplifies customer service and creates a positive example for guest relations.
• Other duties as assigned including occasionally providing support for the organization’s signature events
• Must have a proven track record in sales, experience in developing and managing a sales team and relationship management skills.
• Experience in attractions, hospitality or tourism is a plus.
• Knowledge of the education sector is a highly desirable.
• Must have experience in developing and maintaining a high level of customer service in a sales team. Call Center experience is highly desirable.
• Ability to manage major accounts. Proven track record in developing new markets and meeting sales objectives.
• Must be proficient with Windows software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and database applications and have the ability to learn new programs easily.
• Experience with a ticketing system is highly desirable.
• Must have exceptional interpersonal skills with excellent verbal and written communication.
• Must be able to accurately forecast sales revenue streams.
• Excellent leadership skills, management skills and problem-solving and organizational skills are required.
• To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Education/Experience: Bachelor’s Degree from four-year college/university or equivalent. A minimum of five years sales and management experience required. Must have prior sales experience.
• Communication: Must have excellent writing and presentation skills. Must be able to write proposals. Must be able to present ideas to clients, colleagues and management.
• Math Ability: Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations. Experience with spreadsheets is a must.
• Problem Solving: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with situations where only limited information exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
• Working Conditions: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
• Professional work environment where the noise level is usually moderate.
• Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• The employee is occasionally required to lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities: Close, distance, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
• While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear and drive. Regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and climb or balance. Must be able to drive.
• Employees of Discovery Place should uphold the mission, vision and values of the organization. We strive to provide exceptional service through four core values: uncommon courtesy, the pursuit of personal excellence, teamwork and inclusion. We value the diversity of opinions and intellectual thought and encourage an environment where employees can share ideas openly.