What makes Discovery Education a GREAT fit for you? When you join Discovery Education, you’ll be part of a fast-growing global team that empowers teachers with best-in-class digital curriculum that connects learning to the real-world so that every student can achieve to their highest potential. We’re the global leader in standards-based digital curriculum for K-12 classrooms, positively impacting students by aligning with strategic partners and educational institutions to deliver award-winning digital textbooks, multimedia content, professional development and the largest networked learning community of its kind.
For candidates interested in taking their next career step in the educational technology space, Discovery Education offers the fast pace and excitement of working for a startup, the support of an established organization, and the opportunity to be on the front lines of innovation in an industry that is always growing and transforming. Team members enjoy a high-energy, purpose-driven work environment — as well as tremendous opportunities to grow, learn and make a difference. If you like working with a curious, collaborative, high-performing team, Discovery Education is the place for you.
Discovery Education is an equal opportunity employer. Discovery Education is committed to being an employer of choice, not just a good place to work, but a great and inclusive place to work. To that end, we strive to recruit and maintain a workforce that meaningfully represents the diverse and culturally rich communities that we serve. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status or disabled status or, genetic information.
• This is a hands-on role where you’ll write code daily and contribute to production releases multiple times a month
• Deliver clean and performant code to support Discovery Education’s web applications
• Continually improve our development process, documentation and standards
• Participate in team code reviews to ensure code quality standards
• Participate in dependency management and build system maintenance
• Collaborate with stakeholders and teammates on UX and architecture of web applications
• Mission-Driven: Passionate about Discovery Education’s vision to transform teaching and learning, experience in education or ed-tech industry a plus
• Education: BS in Computer Science or equivalent experience.
• Communication: Demonstrated collaboration, communication and presentation skills.
• Leadership: Demonstrate exceptional leadership; strong work ethic driven by a sense of urgency, organization skills, and ability to inspire others to act and fulfill Discovery Education’s mission.
• Collaborative: Ability to work as part of a team in a fast-paced, high-energy environment. Team builder, not turf builder.
• Hustle: The courage and confidence to work hard and with passion; committed to getting the job done; sustain effort in the face of adversity. Maintain consistency and focus over time with a positive “never give up” attitude
Self-Motivation and Self-Starter: The ability to do what needs to be done without being micromanaged; ability to manage/prioritize multiple tasks, proactively manage numerous projects, and prioritize competing timelines; demonstrate a problem solving/ solution-oriented approach.
• Learning Orientation: Always willing to learn something new, not rigid in beliefs or expectations.
• Sense of Humor: Because we all need to laugh sometimes.
Bonus Technical Qualifications:
• Experienced with BackboneJS and Marionette
• Experienced MeteorJS
• Experience with Python, Flask, Jinja and gettext
• Unit Testing experience with Mocha and/or Jasmine
• End-to-end testing experience with Selenium, Browserstack, Cypress.io or other modern testing frameworks
• Build tools, task runners and automation experience with Webpack, Grunt, Gulp, Jenkins
• Containerization experience with Docker, ECR, Kubernetes, ECS, Docker Swarm, etc.
• Experience with Progressive Web Apps, offline storage, client-server syncing and Websockets
• Experience with Terraform, CloudFormation, Serverless, and other Infrastructure-as-code provisioning frameworks
• Legal right to work in the United States