At Heart Math Tutoring we believe volunteer tutors can be a powerful resource for students if given tools and support, and we believe all children can achieve high levels of understanding in math – a critical competency impacting long-term opportunity. As such, Heart Tutoring recruits and supports 1,280 volunteers as tutors across 23 Charlotte elementary schools with a mission of ensuring that all elementary students develop the strong foundation in math and enthusiasm for academics needed for long-term success.
The Outreach Director will be responsible for planning and coordinating the team’s efforts to secure new volunteers and volunteer partners to provide tutoring to a growing number of students each year. The Outreach Director will also be a key player individually in identifying, cultivating, and stewarding new volunteer partnerships and volunteers and assume a caseload of existing partnerships. The position reports to the Executive Director and will work laterally with Program Managers, Development staff, and other departments to meet annual tutor recruitment goals, which are expected to grow from 1,300 tutors today to over 2,250 tutors annually five years from now.
The ideal candidate exhibits Heart Tutoring’s core values, has strong leadership and relationship-building skills, and operates with a high level of organization and follow through. The Outreach Director will be a reflective learner and will contribute positively to Heart Tutoring’s team, maintaining a high bar of excellence and leading the organization to increased impact.
Planning & Leadership
• Develop and lead a comprehensive and diversified strategy to sustain and grow the volunteer tutor base of Heart Math Tutoring, including cultivation of organization partners, individuals, federal work study students, and other creative sources.
• Measure progress and adjust strategy to ensure 50 students per school have the tutors needed by October 1 and a 95% fill rate from there (measured 12/1, 1/1, 2/1, 3/1, 4/1).
• Work in partnership with Program Manger Team on new school recruitment, advising on feasibility of potential new school sites and planning for success at each one.
• Provide goals, accountability, resources, and coaching to Program Managers, development staff, other departments, and volunteer ambassadors to support effective outreach and retention of org partners and individual volunteers.
• Lead the creation of pitches, advertisements, and strategic messaging for volunteer recruitment.
• Identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward top-level organization partners in collaboration with the Executive Director, Development Director, Board of Directors, and full team.
• Establish and build relationships with new organization partners.
• Recruit individual tutors within organizations by making pitches and building relationships within organizations.
• Identify leads, make asks, and build relationships in the community to recruit individual tutors for students.
• Represent Heart Tutoring at community events, tabling opportunities, networking events, and any other areas that support volunteer recruitment goals.
• Set and achieve monthly and weekly recruitment outreach goals for yourself, adjusting goals and actions to achieve a conversion rate that enables 95% fill rate throughout the year.
• Work with teammates in dual coverage models for organization outreach.
• Support volunteer-related events and other program needs as assigned/feasible.
• Promote Heart Tutoring’s core values and positive culture throughout. Promote a culture of philanthropy and collaboration across functional areas.
• Inspire staff, volunteers and donors to act with urgency to ensure all students develop the strong foundation in math and enthusiasm for academics they need for long-term success.
• Be strategic in your use of time, leveraging volunteers (service enterprise) to accomplish your goals with efficiency and quality.
• Research, learn, and employ best practices in volunteer recruitment and management to maintain a strong foundation for Heart Tutoring’s volunteer outreach efforts.
• Contribute positively to Heart’s team, providing leadership and a high bar for excellence.
• Be a strong member of the Leadership Team, working with Executive Director and others to help the organization maximize its impact, which includes supporting student outcomes, tutor retention, and fundraising goals.
• Holds strong belief that all students can learn and ultimately perform at or above grade level
• Values volunteerism
• 10+ years professional experience in a relationship development and/or leadership role
• Leadership skills. Makes a strong, positive impression in networking and social settings; willing to make asks. Able to teach, tailor, and lead others in sales/recruitment environments and has studied (or is willing to study) best practices in sales/recruitment
• Strategic. Track record of learning and adjusting course based on new information, including seeking and incorporating best practices from other orgs and sectors
• Believes in importance of data and attention to detail and is highly organized and efficient
• Operates with passion and sense of urgency in helping each child reach his/her full potential
• Believes that a strong foundation in math is critical to a person’s success and opportunities
• Values and exhibits collaboration and teamwork, with internal and external partners
• Enjoys multi-tasking and the fast pace of a growing organization, which requires planning and strategy in addition to flexibility and initiative
Some evening and early morning work may be required based on timing of community networking events, partner organization meetings (e.g., faith groups on weekends), and Heart Tutoring programming. Our strategy is to work collaboratively and proactively to establish a sustainable schedule, responsive to variation in season and priorities, and flexible when possible for remote vs. in-person work. We have a fast-paced environment.
Compensation: The budget for this role ranges from $56,000 – $70,000, commensurate with experience.
Heart Math Tutoring has partnered with Next Stage to help in this hire. All inquiries, nominations, and applications should be directed via email to Next Stage (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Applications must include a compelling cover letter and CV to be considered for the role. Please also indicate where you learned of the opportunity. Please note that only those candidates invited for screening will be contacted. No phone calls, please.