Our Managing Editor will be responsible for programming across our newsletter, Instagram, website, Facebook, and Twitter. You’ll likely have two direct reports immediately and you’ll be part of all strategic planning. It’s an important role and you’ll be expected to do it all — write, shoot, manage, and guide strategy. We’re looking for a dynamic media leader with the skills and vision to take the Agenda to the next level.
The Managing Editor will report to Michael Graff (editor-in-chief) and will work hand-in-hand with Lizzy Sirkin (chief revenue officer). There is significant room for personal/professional growth as our business booms — we expect you to grow with us.
This is a critical position for the Agenda as we continue to create a blueprint for a modern local media company. We reach more than 1 million readers each month. Currently, we have a staff of 9 full time employees and a handful of contributors. We expect you to be self-directed and make us better from day one.
What you’ll actually do (we’ll revise this based on your strengths):
- Planning. You’ll act as the quarterback for all of our web stories, our daily newsletter, and Instagram. You’ll be responsible for our editorial calendar.
- Newsletter production. You’ll author our newsletter a few times each week. You should be comfortable becoming a leading voice/face in our city.
- Managing. You’ll lead a team as well as have monthly freelance budget. You will come up with ideas and also know how to do the work.
- Social production. You’ll be responsible for programming across Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter. This means you’ll need to be comfortable both shooting and assigning, especially on Instagram (our main channel). You need to be able to do the work here.
- Reporting. You’ll author a web story or two every week.
- Strategy. Along with shaping and improving all current products (newsletter, social, and website), you’ll be involved in all new product development. You’ll need to understand the business and drive business results (not just audience).
- Best in class salary. Our target is to be in the top 10% compensation tier for all roles.
- Healthcare. The Agenda offers a Blue Cross Blue Shield plan and pays 75% of the total premium for you and your family.
- Vacation and paid holidays. You get 28 total days off, including Christmas week and July 4th week.
- Learn new skills. If you’re looking to learn things, we’ll cover the bill up to $1,000 annually (think conferences or classes).
- Paid parental leave. 8 weeks paid from birth.
- Hardware and software costs. 100% covered (ex: laptop, iPhone, phone bill, photoshop, etc). You’ll always have the best tools.
- Simple expense accounts. You’ll get a company credit card. We don’t ask questions; just act like an owner.