Public Relations Manager
The CRVA works to deliver experiences that uniquely enrich the lives of our visitors and residents. Through leadership in destination development, marketing and venue management expertise, the CRVA leads efforts to maximize the region’s economic potential through visitor spending, creating jobs and opportunities for the community. Brands supported by the CRVA include the Charlotte Convention Center, Spectrum Center, Bojangles’ Entertainment Complex, NASCAR Hall of Fame, Charlotte Film Commission, Visit Charlotte and Visitor Info Centers.
The Public Relations Manager is responsible for executing and measuring strategic public relations programs for all CRVA brands that drive visitation and overarching awareness. This position requires solid public relations experience with established media relationships. An ability to manage efforts through teammates while ensuring top-notch results is critical. Demonstrated experience in mitigating issues affecting public image, navigating high-profile projects, and recommending sound public relations strategies to senior management is a must.
• Develops, executes and measures strategic and proactive media relations plans and public relations programs.
• Aligns public relations activity with paid media efforts and marketing activity to create integrated Marketing/Communications support for CRVA brands that positively impacts awareness, perception, revenue and attendance.
• Serves as a key organizational media relations contact for brand-related activities pertaining to travel and tourism, motor sports, events and more to generate positive coverage.
• Provides direction to the Public Relations Program Manager in creating effective, frequent and positive lines of communication with national, regional, local and trade media.
• Serves as a lead in analyzing and communicating key performance indicator data to Director of Communications.
• Assists Director of Communications with issues management and crisis communications needs.
• Oversees high-level direction of vendors and media monitoring, analysis and reporting processes, press release distribution, media list building and any related third-party support.
• Establishes and maintains professional relationships with public relations professionals from destination assets and CRVA Partners in Tourism.
• Works with integrated Marketing/Communications team members to complement creation of comprehensive content generation needs that promote CRVA-related events and relevant exposure opportunities.
• Becomes an adept expert on the inner workings of CRVA’s brands to ensure that Marketing/Communications works proactively to support internal and external projects and programs.
• Aligns public relations efforts with digital communications direction in relation to influencing strategy, campaigns and overall content strategy.
• Formulates and plans public relations events and activities to support marketing efforts for CRVA brands.
• Responsible for the supervision of one program manager position. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring and training; planning, assigning and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
• May perform other duties as required to support marketing and communications programs and initiatives.
• Bachelor’s degree (B. A., B.S.) from four-year college or university in communications, journalism or public relations, and five to seven (5 – 7) years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Experience with public relations services such as Cision is preferred.
• Previous experience managing employees with demonstrated supervisory responsibilities is required.
• A professional portfolio demonstrating public relations expertise, including crisis communications work, is required.
• Demonstrated ability to develop strategic and measurable plans.
• Demonstrated ability to procure news coverage.
• Proven track record in understanding and quantifying earned media.
• Extensive contacts with local, regional, national or trade (motor sports, entertainment, hospitality or tourism) media or demonstrated ability to quickly gain and build media relationships.
• Self-motivated, fervent work ethic and results-oriented. Demonstrated ability to work independently, take direction and give direction.
• Keen attention to detail, professional writing style, consistency and ability to produce error-free work are a must. Strong organizational skills; ability to handle multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
• Excellent written, proofreading, interpersonal and oral communication skills. Proficient in Microsoft Office (especially Power Point and Excel)
• Possess excellent communication skills including verbal and written communication and presentation skills. Ability to demonstrate political savvy.
• Ability to analyze return on investment figures as it relates to departmental objectives.
• Demonstrated excellent judgment, critical thinking and decision-making skills.
• Ability to maintain composure and clarity of thought and purpose when confronted with highly stressful situations.
• Ability to demonstrate effective analytical, problem identification and resolution skills.
• Ability to anticipate customer needs, builds positive relationships with customers and vendors, goes the extra mile to satisfy and exceed customer needs, treats all customers and vendors with highest degree of respect and courtesy, and delivers exceptional service to internal and external customers.
• Ability to travel, work flexible hours including evenings, weekends and holidays. Approximately 5-10 work-related trips per year.