Transit Coalition Coordinator
Sustain Charlotte is a 501(c)3 charitable organization that informs, engages, and empowers residents to address the numerous sustainability challenges that have accompanied our rapid population by advocating for smart growth.
Smart growth is an approach to development that encourages a mix of building types and uses, diverse housing and transportation options, development within existing neighborhoods, and community engagement. This approach supports local economies, protects the environment, and furthers opportunities for all.
Our mission is to inspire choices that lead to a healthy, equitable, and vibrant community for generations to come.
Founded in 2010, in just short of a decade, Sustain Charlotte has become the metro area’s leading voice for sustainability through smarter growth.
Sustain Charlotte is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity in its work and staff. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sex, national origin, physical or mental disability, age, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable state or federal law. Sustain Charlotte encourages candidates of all groups and communities to apply for this position.
Sustain Charlotte is seeking an individual to serve as the Transit Coalition Coordinator for a new initiative to build public support for expanding and improving public transportation (bus, rail, STS) in Mecklenburg County. The Coordinator will work as part of a high energy, fast-paced team and will coordinate all aspects of the transit coalition including advocacy, neighborhood-based partnerships, and other initiatives.
The successful candidate will have an inquisitive mind and the ability to distill complex information into clear, well-written blog posts, e-mails, and other communications. The Coordinator will also assist with planning and support for the transit coalition’s neighborhood meetings, events and outreach opportunities. This person should have enthusiasm for and the ability to communicate the benefits of public transportation with tact, sincerity, persuasion, and passion, and have the ability to work with confidential information.
This person will be responsible for planning, implementing, and evaluating activities associated with the transit coalition to include providing: general oversight for coalition activities and associated projects; project reporting; and technical assistance to local/regional coalitions and partnerships that focus on transit. The Coordinator will work to develop and implement strategies that will lead to long-term involvement of community institutions, organizations and individuals in the promotion of public transportation.
This position is grant-funded and will initially be for one year (12 months), with the possibility of extension (pending continued funding).
• Assist coalition members in conducting strategic planning and guide coalition to develop a comprehensive action plan based on needs assessment and strategic planning.
• Recruit and maintain a diverse coalition membership with neighborhood associations, businesses, academia, and community-based organizations.
• Coordinate and facilitate coalition meetings and communicate effectively with members to promote collaboration, negotiation, and problem-solving.
• Plan, coordinate, and conduct educational and training activities. Develop training, reference materials, and workshops for coalition and externally (to a variety of stakeholders including residents, businesses, community-based organizations, etc).
• Continually maintain and develop content for the coalition website.
• Assist the Office Manager in managing and overseeing expenditures of coalition budget. Assist the Program Director in seeking and writing grant proposals to obtain additional funding.
• Attend transit-related government meetings and quickly draft informative, persuasive blog and social media posts summarizing outcomes.
• Represent the transit coalition at neighborhood and community meetings, give presentations, host an informational table, and work with stakeholders to implement transit advocacy initiatives.
• Continually broaden expertise in the area of transit and serve as a resource person.
• Represent coalition through professional associations locally, statewide and nationally.
• 2 or more years of experience in community organizing and/or coalition-building, including demonstrated ability to engage tactfully and effectively in both grassroots and grasstops organizing.
• Demonstrated excellence in written and oral communication, including the ability to translate complex ideas into clear, compelling text free of grammatical and punctuation errors.
• Ability to work independently, and to consistently use project management software to coordinate coalition tasks.
• Commitment to supporting diversity, inclusion and equitable outcomes in the building and activities of the coalition.
• Strong presentation and public speaking skills, comfortable speaking in front of small and large groups.
• Proficiency in using Google Drive, spreadsheet, word processing, and presentation software.
• Strong organizational and time-management skills, including the ability to set priorities, meet deadlines, and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
• Strong logistical and database skills.
• Commitment to supporting public transportation.
•Ability to work some special events and frequent meetings occurring on weeknights and weekends.
Compensation for this full-time position will be competitive and commensurate with experience. Benefits include reimbursement for employees who commute to the office by bike, scooter, or transit; health insurance; a generous PTO policy, and a flexible work schedule.
All inquiries, nominations, and applications are to be directed via email to email@example.com. Applications must include a custom cover letter and CV to be considered. Please write “Transit Coalition Coordinator [YOUR LAST NAME]” in the subject line of your email with how you learned of this opportunity. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.