Community Engagement Coordinator
Sustain Charlotte is a 501(c)3 charitable organization that informs, engages, and empowers residents to address the numerous sustainability challenges that have accompanied our rapid population by advocating for smart growth.
Smart growth is an approach to development that encourages a mix of building types and uses, diverse housing and transportation options, development within existing neighborhoods, and community engagement. This approach supports local economies, protects the environment, and furthers opportunities for all.
Our mission is to inspire choices that lead to a healthy, equitable, and vibrant community for generations to come.
Founded in 2010, in just short of a decade, Sustain Charlotte has become the metro area’s leading voice for sustainability through smarter growth.
Sustain Charlotte is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity in its work and staff. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sex, national origin, physical or mental disability, age, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable state or federal law. Sustain Charlotte encourages candidates of all groups and communities to apply for this position.
Sustain Charlotte is seeking an individual to serve as the Community Engagement Coordinator for a high energy, fast-paced team. The Program Coordinator will assist the Program Director with all aspects of Sustain Charlotte’s programmatic work including advocacy, neighborhood-based partnerships, and other initiatives. The successful candidate will have an inquisitive mind and the ability to distill complex information into clear, well-written blog posts, e-mails, and other communications.
The Program Coordinator will also assist with planning and support for Sustain Charlotte’s events and outreach opportunities. This person should have enthusiasm for and the ability to communicate Sustain Charlotte’s mission and programs with tact, sincerity, persuasion, and passion, and have the ability to work with confidential information.
• Work collaboratively with staff to develop and implement strategies to advance Sustain Charlotte’s mission by assisting the Program Director in managing priorities of all programmatic work.
• Attend government meetings and quickly draft informative, persuasive blog posts summarizing outcomes.
• Evaluate progress towards programmatic goals and contribute to preparation of reports that are presented to the Board and senior staff.
• Represent Sustain Charlotte at neighborhood and community meetings, give presentations, and work with stakeholders to implement our programs.
• Prepare materials needed for program meetings.
• Maintain updated and accurate educational and outreach materials.
• Draft program spotlight stories for websites and newsletter.
• Assist in executing public relations plans for programs and campaigns.
• Assist in the execution of (and in some cases lead) neighborhood-based meetings.
• Support the Communications + Volunteer Coordinator in recruiting, training, and scheduling volunteers to assist with program work and outreach events.
• Maintain updated project and program status reports.
• Assist in tracking due dates of grant reports and proposals.
• Support the Program Director and Development Director in researching new programmatic grant opportunities.
• Bachelor’s degree in urban planning, transportation planning, or an aligned field.
• Demonstrated excellence in written and oral communication, including the ability to translate complex ideas into clear, compelling text free of grammatical and punctuation errors.
• Experience in community engagement and partnership-building.
• Commitment to supporting diversity and inclusion as Sustain Charlotte works to advance social equity.
• Strong presentation and public speaking skills, comfortable speaking in front of large groups.
• Experience using online services and other data sources to conduct research.
• Proficiency in using spreadsheets, MS Office, Google Drive, and PowerPoint.
• Strong organizational and time-management skills, including the ability to set priorities, meet deadlines, and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
• Strong logistical and database skills.
• Commitment to the mission of Sustain Charlotte.
• Ability to work some special events and frequent meetings occurring on weeknights and weekends.
• We offer a comfortable work environment in a small office in Charlotte’s vibrant South End neighborhood. We encourage our employees to commute by walking, bicycling, or riding public transit instead of driving.
• This position will require frequent work in the evenings and some work on weekends to participate in community events and meetings.
• In-town travel will be required.
• High volume of public contact.
This job profile in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the jobholder. He/she will be required to follow any other instructions or perform any other duties as requested by the Program Director at Sustain Charlotte and in coordination with the neighborhood-based leadership team of the coalition. This is not meant to be an exhaustive list of job duties. Essential elements may change when necessary.
Compensation for this full-time position will be competitive and commensurate with experience. Benefits include reimbursement for employees who commute to the office by bike, scooter, or transit; health insurance; a generous PTO policy, and a flexible work schedule.