Product designer (UX)
The Business Journals is looking for a talented and thoughtful product designer to join our team in Charlotte, N.C. We are a tight-knit group, working together to improve the user experience of publications in 43 cities throughout the United States. We collaborate directly with product managers and developers on agile scrum teams, and the products we design have immediate impact on business decision makers across the country. If you worked here in the last year, you might have revamped our article page to streamline the reading experience, created a new data product, redesigned our account section to center on users’ common tasks, helped build our pattern library, or optimized our e-commerce flows.
• Collaborate with product managers to conceive new products, features and site improvements; collaborate with developers to implement them.
• Pivot between contributing to high-level product decisions and understanding the low-level implications of those discussions.
• Design user flows, wireframes, high-fidelity mock-ups, and clickable prototypes.
• Clearly communicate a product’s design to stakeholders, product managers and developers.
• Frequently give and solicit constructive feedback from fellow designers through informal and formal critiques.
• Act as an advocate for the user’s perspective.
• Grow and manage our team’s assets, such as pattern libraries and style guides.
• Stay current on news and ideas in mobile and web design.
• Two to three years designing and building consumer-facing or enterprise digital products, particularly for mobile devices.
• Intellectually curious and detail-oriented.
• Solid understanding of how to design clear interfaces that people love to use.
• Sophisticated visual design expertise: facility with color, type and grid to create a cohesive design in any medium.
• Able to work within and intelligently expand an existing design system.
• Can articulate the rationale behind every design decision through strong oral and written presentation skills.
• Ability to collaborate effectively and positively in design and product-line teams.
• Mastery of common visual design tools, particularly Sketch and the Adobe Creative Suite.
• Passionate about usability, mobile technology, graphic design, branding and/or journalism
• Experience working with agile teams and in an iterative process
• Experience designing with data, for news or for events
• Background designing for systems (style guides, pattern libraries)
• Experience with user testing
• 13″ Retina MacBook Pro, standalone monitor, Sketch, Adobe Creative Cloud, Slack and user testing tools
• Full complement of major medical, dental, vision and life insurance
• 401(k) plan and matching employer contributions
• Newly remodeled building with open workspaces, sit-stand desks, coffee and snacks lounge, small gym and subsidized cafeteria
• Free on-site parking in Uptown Charlotte
• Off-site team-building events
• Conference and training budget
Email resume, cover letter and a link to a portfolio to Kyle Ellis, Director of Product, at email@example.com. Please do not send portfolios as PDFs or attachments.