Jackson Lewis P.C. is a law firm with more than 900 attorneys in major cities nationwide serving clients across a wide range of practices and industries. Having built its reputation on providing premier workplace law representation to management, the firm has grown to include leading practices in the areas of government relations, healthcare and sports law. The firm’s commitment to client service, depth of expertise and innovation draws clients to Jackson Lewis for excellent value-driven legal advice. The Firm is ranked in the First Tier nationally in the category of Labor and Employment Litigation, as well as in both Employment Law and Labor Law on behalf of Management, in the U.S. News – Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms”.
The litigation secretary will work with multiple attorneys (4+) providing a full range of support, including, but not limited to, preparation/revision of correspondence, pleadings and documents, e-file pleadings, conduct legal research, calendar maintenance, various office and client filing. This position is in our Charlotte, NC office and reports to the Office Administrator.
The successful candidate is a very organized, detail-oriented team player possessing at least 4 years recent litigation secretary experience (including electronic filing).
• Engage in the work of the attorney by demonstrating knowledge and status of current cases and projects, utilizing available resources in order to achieve.
• Provide support for four attorneys in employment law matters and backup support as needed.
• Answer phones and communicate with clients on a daily basis.
• Act as liaison between internal departments and outside agencies.
• Prepare/revise correspondence, pleadings, documents and other clerical assignments as directed.
• Handle a wide variety of complex and confidential time-sensitive material.
• Run conflict checks and open new client engagements as requested.
• Assist with billing review, inquiries and collections.
• Maintain calendars, CLE, reports and time records.
• Book and organize travel arrangements including flights, hotels, transportation, make changes to reservations as needed.
• Maintain docketing for litigation attorneys.
• Transcribe electronic dictation and schedule depositions.
• Various office and client filing, proofreading documents.
Qualifications and skills required:
• At least 4 years recent legal secretarial experience within a law firm supporting litigation attorneys, experience with labor and employment law a plus.
• Familiarity with state and federal rules and procedures, as well as procedures with state and federal agencies.
• Must have a solid understanding of technical legal terminology as well as court filings.
• Experienced with trial preparation and briefs.
• Punctual with excellent attendance.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills, as well as excellent proofreading skills.
• Ability to timely respond to deadlines, balance workload and take initiative.
• Proficient with Office Suite, including Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Law firm billing experience a plus.
• Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work well in a cooperative, small office environment and communicate with attorneys and support staff on every level.
• High School diploma or equivalent required.
• 4-year college degree preferred.
Why work with us:
Jackson Lewis understands that embracing our differences makes us a stronger, better firm. We appreciate the importance of having a workforce that reflects the various communities in which we work and we strive to create an inclusive environment where diverse employees want to work and where they can flourish professionally. In furtherance of our culture, all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, gender, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, marital status or any other characteristics protected by law.