Director of Business Insights
By trade we are a technology company, but if you ask anyone that works here, they’ll tell you we are a people company. As the industry leader in Accounts Payable (AP) Automation, AvidXchange strives to provide an innovative and collaborative work environment. We do that through focusing on our people, our culture and ensuring we run our business in a way that enables every employee to achieve their fullest potential and help us create a world-class company. Our employees live by our core values, including “Innovate to Change the Game,” “Passion About Customer Success,” “Win as a Team,” and “Have a Blast.” Whether you live in Charlotte and can enjoy our corporate campus at the AvidXchange Music Factory or you live across the country, AvidXchange has locations waiting for you. We are on a mission to create something different at AvidXchange. Love where you work. Live Avidly.
The Director of Business Insights position is key towards enhancing the data driven culture we have at AvidXchange. As a leader in the organization, you will be entrusted with multiple direct reports that you will be directly responsible for developing and you will be responsible for ensuring the continued development of the teams and teammates your direct reports lead. You will be a thought leader in the organization who will be expected to provide insights and strategy for the hardest problems in the organization. This will be the ideal role for someone who enjoys a steep learning curve, is an operator at heart, wants to develop and teach others and progress along their managerial career with a unique experience.
As a leader within AvidXchange, the ideal applicant will need to create strong relationships across the organization, reliable delivery processes and an environment that empowers your teams to deliver solutions to our internal customers, without incorporating an appropriate capacity model to ensure your teammates are set up for success and lastly roll up your sleeves to work on the most complex problems for the company. You will be expected to;
• Create a sustainable and repeatable customer-centric delivery model across your teams so all of your customers feel like they are each receiving tailored support.
• Build trusted relationships with your stakeholders and coach your teammates on techniques to build trust with these same stakeholders, so your stakeholders feel like they can trust you, your teammates and your teams’ deliverables.
• Connect the dots across different departments and help provide an outside lens of large value-add solutions that will propel the broader organization forward.
• Jump in to tackle the highest value inititiatives at AvidXchange, whether it be M&A work, process improvement or building the future infrastructure that will enable us to scale.
• Guide the implementation of solutions hand in hand with stakeholders and monitor the impact of those solutions.
• Hold stakeholders accountable to use data and make sure it is ingrained in their operational rhythm.
While a people leader, the Director of Business Insights should have complete mastery of the following tools we use and can jump in to help complete work at any time:
• Using SQL to pull and transform data. Beyond Temp tables, Subqueries and CTEs, a Manager should be an integral part of advising on the data structure for the areas they support.
• Using Excel, this individual should be a master of all things Excel.
• Using PowerBI or like tools, this individual should make high-quality dashboards and visuals.
Communication is key in the role of a Director of Business Insights:
• Comfortable presenting in front of a group of executives using data to lead the conversation.
• Transparent and honest communication to direct reports on all aspects of the job, ranging from performance discussion to game-planning on how to handle a sticky situation.
• Excellent written email skills and the ability to tell a story in a brief snapshot thru email.
• Creates board quality PowerPoint presentations and visuals.
Leadership is key in the role of a Director of Business Insights:
• Challenge and guide your teams to generate actionable insights through analytics rather than just spreadsheets of data.
• Teaches continuously to direct reports and is always willing to help their teammates as well.
• Effectively handles crucial conversations not only with direct reports but also with outside stakeholders.
• Proactively identifies issues and helps the leadership team craft the correct vision for the team.
• Relentless drive to provide support and ensure consistent development of their teammates.
Experience, qualifications and skills:
• Expert knowledge of the Microsoft Office Suite, particular emphasis on Excel.
• Expert knowledge of SQL (Temp Tables, CTEs, Unions, Subqueries).
• Expert knowledge of a BI Reporting Platform (PowerBI, Tableau, Mode, etc.).
• Solid understanding of statistical methods that can be used to wrangle large sets of data.
• Naturally curious individual who is willing to embrace change in a fast-paced work environment.
• Experience managing a team of individuals.
• Bachelors degree in an analytical discipline or 5+ years of experience in a highly analytical environment
• Experience with any coding language: Python, R, VBA, C#, .Net, etc.
• Experience using Azure DevOps/JIRA or any other agile planning tool
• Experience using Azure DevOps/GitHub or any other source code management tool
• Availability to travel less than 5% of the time
AvidXchange is an equal opportunity employer. AvidXchange is committed to equal employment opportunity in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. AvidXchange will not discriminate against applicants for employment on any legally recognized basis. This includes, but is not limited to: veteran status, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age and physical or mental disability.