Vice President, Development (HIRED)
The Vice President, Development has the primary responsibility for establishing and implementing the infrastructure needed to grow Novant Health Foundations budget through the solicitation of major gifts, federal and state grants, planned giving, special events and corporate and foundation support. S/he will be responsible for all aspects of the organization’s fundraising/resource development and board development activities and will assist in forging new relationships to build visibility, impact and financial resources. This position will establish and implement a system-wide strategy for cultivating individual and philanthropic support.
What you will do:
• Actively works with market Development teams to plan and execute comprehensive fundraising strategies for foundations, corporations and individual donors to meet the ongoing financial needs of Novant Health system-wide.
• Oversees all development activities including capital campaign, major gifts, special events, planned giving, prospect research, grant writing, donor cultivation, donor records and Foundation volunteer program.
• Expands and diversifies the donor base through an ongoing cultivation and stewardship program, which includes, but is not limited to, targeted outreach activities, personal visits and communications.
• Oversee all donor information, provide and monitor and report regularly on the progress of the development program across the markets to board and senior leaders.
• Engages donors and prospects in system activities and ensures proper recognition of all major gifts.
• Creates programs to educate donors on giving to health care and how philanthropy helps Novant Health achieve its goals.
• Represents the Novant Health Foundations across the system through formal and informal contact within the community and beyond.
• Develops and mentors an integrated, high-performance team, in which staff members work cooperatively and collaboratively. Creates a metrics-driven development team.
• Promotes integration and sharing across the Foundations and Social Responsibility teams and the Foundation and Community Engagement department.
• Establishes and maintains collaborative working relationships with system and market leadership.
• Responsible for the establishment, oversight and administration of departmental budgets.
• Builds an environment of accountability within a fast-paced transforming division.
• Manages a portfolio of a minimum of 50 prospects.
• Assumes related responsibilities and performs other duties as assigned.
Education and experience:
• Bachelor’s Degree required.
• Master’s Degree required.
• Minimum 12 years in a non-profit organization with demonstrated success in a development function require.
• Tangible experience of expanding and cultivating new and existing donor relationships over time, required.
• Working knowledge of Best Practices in campaign planning, annual giving programs, planned giving and major gifts required.
• Management experience required.
• Fluent in Blackbaud products (Raiser’s Edge) required
• Marketing or sales experience preferred.
• Healthcare fundraising experience preferred.
• Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE) preferred.
• Entrepreneurial spirit and innovative drive for reaching the next great idea.
• Strong Business acumen with the ability to assess risk, identify and address issues and prioritize.
• Experience in managing others. Candidates who lack this experience must present those traits typically found in successful managers (i.e., high energy, empathy, sound judgment and presence).
• Ability to work both independently without close oversight and as a team player who will productively engage with others at varying levels of seniority within and outside Novant Health.
• Ability to understand the needs and interests of leadership and major gift donors in order to develop relationships between them and Novant Health Foundations.
• A team-oriented style that is honest, direct and decisive, as well as collegial, must be personally approachable.
• Proven ability to work collaboratively within an organization, exceptional interpersonal skills that create credibility and trust.
• Flexible and adaptable style, a leader who can positively impact both strategic and tactical fundraising initiatives.
• Demonstrated ability to construct, articulate and implement annual strategic development plan, candidates should have familiarity with creating and adhering to metrics.
• Ability to take initiative and to manage multiple tasks and projects at a time, must be comfortable in a fast-paced transforming environment.
• Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills.
• Strongly developed written and verbal communication skills.
• Self-starter who is results-oriented.
• Proactively promotes diversity and inclusion throughout the organization. Commitment to leveraging diversity and inclusion in support of quality care.
• Superior negotiation skills.
• Ability to influence and engage a wide range of donors.
• Ability to respect confidential information.
• Experience using Raiser’s Edge or similar development database programs.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
• Experience in budgeting and strategic planning.
• High level of organizational and management skills and demonstrated ability to motivate staff to achieve departmental goals.
• A commitment to providing services in accordance to the mission and goals of the organization.
It is the responsibility of every Novant Health team member to deliver the most remarkable patient experience in every dimension, every time. Our team members are part of an environment that fosters teamwork, team member engagement and community involvement. The successful team member has a commitment to leveraging diversity and inclusion in support of quality care. All Novant Health team members are responsible for fostering a safe patient environment driven by the principles of “First Do No Harm”.
This position has been filled. To search all open positions, visit our Job Board.