Director of Volunteer Engagement (HIRED)
Crisis Assistance Ministry is Mecklenburg County’s Lead Agency offering emergency assistance to low-income families. Specifically, Crisis Assistance Ministry helps families facing financial crisis by: providing for basic needs including emergency rent and utility assistance, clothing, furniture, beds, appliances and household goods, fostering economic mobility through partnerships, one-on-one coaching and support that helps families rebuild financial stability and empowering the community to advocate for people facing poverty. On a typical day, nearly 200 families seek assistance through the independent, nonprofit agency located in Charlotte. Visit our website to learn more.
Our mission is to provide assistance and advocacy for people in financial crisis, helping them move toward self-sufficiency.
The Director of Volunteer Engagement is responsible for the overall management of Crisis Assistance Ministry’s volunteer engagement program and ensuring its effectiveness in advancing the agency’s civic engagement strategies. As the process owner for maximizing the experience of thousands of community members who volunteer and give of their time freely, this position collaborates both internally and externally on volunteer recruitment, management, engagement and stewardship practices. The Director of Volunteer Engagement will leverage best-practice methodology to drive operational excellence and a positive volunteer experience.
Duties and responsibilities:
• Lead the implementation of policies, strategies and goal setting for the agency’s volunteer engagement program, including recruitment, management and retention.
• Successfully recruit new individual and group volunteers and grow existing volunteer relationships.
• Collaborate across the agency to identify and fulfill agency volunteer needs/goals, maximize the overall volunteer experience and support volunteer relationships.
• Leverage the agency’s volunteer management system to efficiently schedule, communicate with and track volunteers.
• Provide support and tools to help each staff member achieve success in their role supervising volunteers, through continuous training, feedback and reporting.
• Oversee the maintenance of the volunteer data management system including consistent data entry and record management, with the goal of ensuring accuracy, consistency and timeliness in tracking and reporting metrics.
• Oversee and support volunteer retention and recognition activities.
• Assist with capturing volunteer stories for the website, newsletters and social media.
• Partner with internal and external stakeholders to continually assess volunteer program processes.
• Recruit, coordinate and ensure effective representation of the agency and its mission in the community at speaking engagements, third party events, agency tours, volunteer fairs etc.
Required experience and education:
Leadership, passion and teamwork
• Proven passion for serving and deep empathy for people in poverty.
• Highly collaborative and energized by a fast-paced environment.
• Excited about leading in a rapidly changing environment with people dedicated to customer dignity.
Skills and expertise
• Proven ability to lead a cross-functional team and influence to attain buy-in and support of goals, direct management experience preferred.
• Commitment to creating a culture of volunteerism that ensures engagement, inclusion and ownership at all levels across the agency.
• Demonstrated interpersonal/relationship building skills.
• Demonstrated public speaking experience and ability to communicate with a variety of stakeholders.
• Outstanding organizational and project management skills.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Self-motivated, able to work independently and as a member of a team.
• Working knowledge of databases, preferably Salesforce or similar.
• Proficient in Windows OS and Microsoft Office Suite: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook.
• Minimum 3-5 years’ work experience in nonprofit or corporate setting.
• Bachelor’s Degree required. Certification in Volunteer Administration credentials a plus.
• Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m. are general business hours, willingness and flexibility to work before and/or after business hours and on weekends expected as a routine part of the role.
• While performing the duties of this position, the employee works primarily in an office environment and is required to work predominantly sitting, standing, walking, bending, typing using a computer, answering the telephone and reaching with hands and arms.