Chief of Staff
Discovery Place inspires curious thinkers to discover the wonders of science, technology and nature. Operating with a network of four museums (Discovery Place Science, Discovery Place Nature and two Discovery Place Kids) in the greater Charlotte metropolitan area with an operating budget of $14M+, we are the largest museum in the Charlotte region and one of the top science museums in the US with nearly 800,000 guests annually and a workforce of nearly 200. Key to the long-term successful growth, current priorities include the implementation of an ambitious new strategic agenda and major community efforts and initiatives.
The Chief of Staff is responsible for the management and administration of the office of the President and CEO and for coordinating relations and activities on the Board of Trustees. Key responsibilities include executive level coordination of key institutional priorities and projects, internal and external meeting coordination and management, development of communications tools and presentations and reports as well as management of relationships and coordination with internal and external constituents. This position is expected to provide leadership to other executive support personnel, improve processes and systems and interact with a large number of external stakeholders and supporters in support of the President and CEO’s work. A successful Chief of Staff will have an innate ability to get things done, bringing a strategic mindset that uses effective systems and processes, is eager to learn with a positive, energetic and curious mind and must be humble, loyal and selfless.
Key skills required to be successful in this position include strong project management, technology and organizational skills, functioning as a strategic thinker as well as have the flexibility, adaptability and patience to succeed in a fast-paced and demanding environment.
Duties and responsibilities:
• Ensures the effective operation of the work of the President and CEO and the Board of Trustees in support of Discovery Place’s mission and operations including maintaining loyalty, discretion and confidentiality in communications and other matters.
• Serves as a “jack/jane-of-all-trades,” with experience in wide-ranging or cross-functional areas and an eagerness to learn new skills and knowledge.
• Works as a strategic thinker to the CEO, with a data-driven and analytical approach to solving problems.
• Oversees cross-functional, even organization-wide projects through well-organized and coordinated efforts with internal and external stakeholders, navigating the CEO’s and others’ schedules and decisions when meeting review is needed, to achieve success.
• Manages complex administrative and strategic priorities. Seeks clarity as needed.
• Strategically manages priorities, including calendar, for CEO to ensure that CEO’s time is spent on high-value work, involves other executives where appropriate. (CEO weekly schedule typically includes approximately 20-25 meetings/commitments in the museum and across the community.)
• Prepares written materials and presentations for meetings, included public and Board of Trustees meetings and works with CEO to finalize presentations.
• Coordinates meetings for the Board of Trustees, committee, external and internal meetings, ensuring communications are distributed in advance and all physical set-up and logistics are handled in advance of meeting times.
• Supports internal staff needs for CEO’s time ensuring that meeting materials are received in advance and meetings stay on time.
• Manages all incoming and outgoing correspondence, phone and provides support for email coverage for CEO.
• Understands and proactively manages the internal dynamics of a complex organization in support of the institutional and CEO’s priorities, demonstrates leadership with executive team and other DP managers to build trust and support for organization’s priorities.
• Develops and maintains relationships with key stakeholders, donors and other advocates and supports CEO in communications and other activities with these partners.
• Develops in-depth knowledge of DP operations, priorities, pain points as well as external issues. Identifies systems to improve results and efficiencies.
• Assists and supports CEO in special projects internally as well as within community and professional organizations. Comfortable behind the scenes and thrives on helping others achieve success and even anticipating their needs before they are spoken.
• Oversees the management of the official organizational files and supports CEO in maintaining order and access to information.
• College degree(s) in communications, business, museum studies, law, engineering or related field.
• Minimum of 8 years of experience working with senior executives in public sector, corporate or large non-profit organizations.
• Experience managing and interacting with C-Suite executives and other staff.
• Superior communication skills (oral and written).
• Strong technology skills and use of MS Office, with broad experience with presentation development in PowerPoint. Experience with Blackbaud – Altru is beneficial.
• Exceptional organizational, project management and time management skills.
• Finds joy in helping others excel and delights in making things seem effortless.
• Shares credit and accepts responsibility for successes and opportunities for improvement and learns from those experiences.
• Works proactively with a positive attitude in support of the team while exhibiting integrity, tact and detail orientation with an innate ability to meet deadlines.
• Enjoys working with others and with multiple projects at the same time. Superior project management skills.
• Demonstrates a positive attitude consistently and enjoys being a part of a high-performing team.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
• Specific vision abilities required by this job include Close vision and Ability to adjust focus.
• While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit and use hands to finger, handle or feel.
• The employee is frequently required to talk or hear.
• The employee is occasionally required to walk.
Employees of Discovery Place should uphold the mission, vision and values of the organization. We strive to provide exceptional service through four core values: uncommon courtesy, the pursuit of personal excellence, teamwork and inclusion. We value the diversity of opinions and intellectual thought and encourage an environment where employees can share ideas openly.
The foregoing description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities of this job. Other duties may be assigned. This job description may be changed to include new responsibilities and tasks or change existing ones as management deems necessary.