Operations Manager (HIRED)
Sustain Charlotte is a 501(c)3 charitable organization that informs, engages and empowers residents to address the numerous sustainability challenges that have accompanied our rapid population by advocating for smart growth. Smart growth is an approach to development that encourages a mix of building types and uses, diverse housing and transportation options, development within existing neighborhoods and community engagement. This approach supports local economies, protects the environment and furthers opportunities for all. Our mission is to inspire choices that lead to a healthy, equitable and vibrant community for generations to come. Founded in 2010, in just short of a decade, Sustain Charlotte has become the metro area’s leading voice for sustainability through smarter growth. We listen. We partner. We solve. We see the connections.
Sustain Charlotte has grown rapidly over the last several years, growing its budget to increase our capacity to further our mission and developed a dynamic board of directors. As the organization has grown in scope, managing the operations of the organization has also expanded. Sustain Charlotte is currently undertaking a five-year strategic planning effort that will require a solid platform of operations upon which to build.
Sustain Charlotte is seeking a professional with a strong background in operations to coordinate human resources, office management/technology, financial management and team communication. Candidates with demonstrated operations expertise combined with a passion for sustainability are encouraged to apply to join this growing team.
The Operations Manager holds a pivotal internal-facing role with a primary focus on operational and administrative functions. Key responsibilities include:
• Works with Executive Director to oversee implementation of Sustain Charlotte’s annual plan, schedule quarterly reviews and assist in ensuring the organization meets its goals.
• Provides regular support to Board and Executive Director by helping to schedule board and committee meetings, preparing agendas, taking minutes and issuing summary e-mails.
• Manages nonprofit compliance issues including annual charitable solicitation license, insurance, audit, 990 tax return, board member conflict of interest forms and other tasks related to compliance.
Human resources and culture building
• Manages the human resource function for Sustain Charlotte’s hiring process and training of new employees.
• Maintains staff records and supports the Executive Director in quarterly staff reviews, annual goal setting, organizing team-building activities and coordination of professional development.
• Fosters a positive staff culture that supports the organization’s values, goals and one another.
• Oversees all office-related facility maintenance.
• Ensures Sustain Charlotte’s technology systems (e-mail, site hosting, databases, etc.) are in good working order.
• Makes regularly scheduled trips to the Sustain Charlotte mailbox, receiving and disseminating mail to staff recipients.
• Oversees and maintains Sustain Charlotte’s daily financial procedures at the operational level and coordinates monthly processing with Sustain Charlotte’s bookkeeper.
• Engages in quarterly financial and cash flow analysis in partnership with the Executive Director, assessing forward progress against the annual budget.
• Coordinates agenda for weekly staff meetings and works with team members to identify topics for discussion.
• Facilitates staff communication through weekly/regular updates.
• Introduces innovative ideas for improving team communication.
The ideal candidate would have the following capabilities and qualities:
• Bachelor’s degree in public administration or a related field or a certificate in nonprofit management along with equivalent education and experience.
• An appreciation for sustainability and demonstrated commitment to it.
• At least 3 years’ direct experience managing operations.
• Ability to make connections easily and create authentic relationships with a wide variety of individuals and groups.
• Solid analytical skills and a basic understanding of financial management.
• Proficiency with CRM management is essential.
Compensation for this full-time position will be competitive and commensurate with experience. Benefits include reimbursement for employees who commute to the office by bike, scooter or transit, health insurance, a generous PTO policy and a flexible work schedule.