Director of Government Affairs
The Charlotte Regional Business Alliance is a nonprofit, business-led organization focused on the economic health of the region. The Alliance’s footprint encompasses the city of Charlotte and a its surrounding 15 counties including 11 in North Carolina and four in South Carolina. Created by the merger of the Charlotte Chamber and the Charlotte Regional Partnership, the Alliance’s mission is to enthusiastically collaborate to promote and advance the Charlotte region, creating opportunity, economic growth and prosperity for all.
The Director will be primarily responsible and accountable for the following:
• Identifying federal, state and local legislative and regulatory agenda for the Alliance.
• Monitoring and evaluating federal, state, local and regulatory developments, including tracking legislation, hearings and other proceedings.
• Developing strategies to achieve the Alliance’s government affairs objectives.
• Analyzing proposed legislative actions to determine the potential impact on the membership and region, while developing appropriate responses.
• Making recommendations concerning political activity.
• Representing the Charlotte Regional Business Alliance before government officials and staff.
• Together with the SVP, serving as the company’s point of contact for federal Executive Branch, Congressional and Agency Officials, as well as Governors, Lt. Governors, Attorney Generals, state legislative leaders, mayors, county boards, city councils and other state and local officials.
• Developing and maintaining relationships with government representatives and regulators at the federal, state and local level.
• Evaluating the need for the engagement of outside consultants, including lobbyists, public affairs specialists and others.
• Providing recommendations for the engagement of outside consultants.
• Building, maintaining and strengthening relationships with government and community leaders.
• Advocating for legislative and regulatory outcomes and defined public policy objectives.
• Coordinating responses to internal and external inquiries related to government issues.
• Assisting in the development of positions and communications to support government affairs strategies, including internal and external communications, newsletters, position papers, grassroots alerts and issue briefings.
• Creating and executing on opportunities for educating government officials on the Charlotte Regional Business Alliance, its mission, vision, geography and legislative agenda.
• Engaging with stakeholders to develop, strategize and execute on key initiatives.
• Developing and implementing communication strategies to effectively promote government affairs to internal and external stakeholders.
• Coordinating and collaborating with other associations, organizations and partners with respect to public policy and legislative issues.
• Developing an effective program to communicate and advocate for topics of interest with all levels of elected officials.
Required education and experience:
• Bachelor’s Degree and/or experience in public policy and in-depth knowledge of government at the federal, state and international levels is required.
• Must possess experience engaging and influencing government officials.