Catawba Lands Conservancy (CLC) is a nonprofit regional land trust that protects the land, water and wildlife resources of the Southern Piedmont of North Carolina and Lower Catawba River Basin. Its mission is to save land and connect lives to nature. Stewardship of the CLC’s protected lands is a critical function and includes monitoring of conserved land, managing public access, protecting and enhancing conservation value. CLC is the lead agency for the Carolina Thread Trail (CTT), a developing regional network of greenways, trails and blueways that connects 15 counties, 2 states and 2.9 million people. Both organizations engage the public in conservation and trails through outreach, outdoor an environmental education and a robust annual series of volunteer workdays, outdoor programs (guided hikes, bike rides, paddle trips) and special events.
The Communications and Marketing Manager is responsible for the strategic planning and implementation of all marketing and communications activities, both external and internal for the Catawba Lands Conservancy and the Carolina Thread Trail. This position will play an influential role in expanding and implementing digital marketing strategies. He/she is responsible for elevating the profile of both organizations through earned, paid and digital/social media, managing brand standards and the design and production of collateral materials, working with staff and board members to insure that initiatives are consistent with broader organizational strategies and measuring the impact of programs and strategies. This position reports to the Director of Development and also supports fundraising initiatives, programming and special events.
This position is full-time (40 hours a week) with medical benefits, paid time off, Simple IRA with matched contribution.
Position duties and responsibilities:
• Develop digital media efforts and social media strategy, as well as managing social media channels, including social and Google ad campaigns.
• Write and curate mission-driven content and leveraging stories into multiple channels (print and digital) to engage audiences and impact fundraising.
• Design and oversee the production of print materials and publications to ensure alignment with brand standards.
• Manage website, SEM, SEO and email marketing.
• Manage media relations including writing press releases, pitching stories, developing reporter relationships, monitoring media presence and crisis communications.
• Develop short- and long-term plans and budgets for the marketing/communications/public relations program and its activities and evaluate performance.
• Manage graphic designers, printers, photographers and additional vendors as needed.
• Support special events and outreach programs.
Education and skill set:
• Minimum of 2 years of experience in marketing, communications or public relations with demonstrated success, preferably in the not-for-profit or association sector.
• Bachelor’s degree in journalism, marketing, public relations preferred.
• Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and Adobe Creative Cloud.
• Attention to detail and problem-solving skills.
• Excellent time management skills and ability to multi-task and prioritize work.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Strong organizational and planning skills.
• Ability to coordinate with staff and manage volunteers.