Community Engagement & Program Coordinator (HIRED)
Community Building Initiative (CBI) was founded in 1997 to help Charlotte respond to a crisis at a moment in time. Over 20 years CBI has evolved from a crisis-inspired response into a permanent community resource in the hard work of increasing inclusion and equity across Charlotte-Mecklenburg. Initially focused on addressing the critical and core issue of race, CBI now integrates additional aspects of diversity and difference into its established and successful programs. CBI’s believes that a person’s identity and zip code should not predict their life outcomes. In alignment with its core values, through its intensive and interactive programs and partnerships and by involving diverse groups of leaders and residents, CBI builds the capacity and commitment of individuals, organizations, institutions – and ultimately the broader community – to successfully work for inclusion and equity.
Community Building Initiative (CBI) seeks a talented professional to fill the newly created position of Community Engagement & Program Coordinator. CBI is a Charlotte, NC non-profit committed to providing individuals and organizations with the knowledge, skills and courage to build a more inclusive and just Charlotte-Mecklenburg.
The primary goals of the Community Engagement & Program Coordinator are to promote and increase awareness of and involvement in CBI’s mission and programs and to coordinate the Equity Impact Circle program. The Community Engagement Coordinator joins a team of three full-time employees and reports directly to the Executive Director. CBI’s operational model is built on the effective and strategic use of external consultants skilled in development, in program design and delivery and in communications and marketing. The Community Engagement Coordinator will work with these CBI team members.
Essential job functions:
• Manage outreach efforts utilizing a broad range of techniques and strategies including CBI’s digital platform – website, social media and email communication – to engage people in CBI’s mission and programs, conveying the impact of CBI. The target audience includes both people who are already aware of and participating in CBI as well as the community-at-large.
• Serve as a key liaison to CBI’s external communication and marketing firm.
• Support and coordinate the engagement of people in CBI’s programs with a special focus on the expansion of the Equity Impact Circle (EIC) program.
• Manage all aspects of the logistics associated with Equity Impact Circles, supporting the Equity Leadership Team and coordinating the recruitment, training and scheduling of moderators.
• Actively participate in and support CBI’s external events including those on nights and weekends.
• Be an active representative of CBI at identified community events.
This job is right for you if you are:
• A team player.
• Committed to building an inclusive and equitable community.
• Curious, creative and open to learning.
• Committed to building connections across difference and to exploring difficult community issues.
• An organized self-starter.
• Interested in being actively involved in an environment that supports personal awareness and growth.
• Demonstrated success in building, cultivating and sustaining relationships, including strong problem solving and listening skills, with a diverse range of constituents.
• Demonstrated commitment to racial equity.
• Demonstrated success in planning and managing multiple priorities and deliverables, including the ability to prioritize and delegate as appropriate and required, within a deadline-oriented environment.
• Independent and cooperative decision-making and strategic thinking, with demonstrated ability to apply the organization’s overall mission to make informed decisions.
• Ability to communicate effectively and interact with CBI staff, volunteer leadership, donors and community representatives and partners.
• Post-secondary education preferred, high school diploma required.
• Proficient use of various platforms (Microsoft Office, Google Suite, Constant Contact/MailChimp) and expertise with social media and communications platforms.
• At least 1 year of experience in a nonprofit setting, preferably in community engagement, communications and program management.
• Excellent verbal and written skills, bilingual a plus.
• Demonstrated passion for and commitment to CBI’s mission and work.
Salary and benefits:
• $45,000 – $50,000 depending on qualifications.
• Insurance and retirement benefits.