Under the direct supervision of the Vice President of Finance/HR, the Accountant will support accounting services including revenue/grant tracking, reporting, sales tax filing, year-end and audit support and other related functions. This position supports the finance area and will assist Vice President of Finance/HR with maintaining accurate accounting information and established fiscal policies and generally accepted accounting standards. The idea candidate will have experience with non-profit accounting practices dealing with audits, taxes and grants. A flexible work schedule is available upon request.
• Maintain the integrity of the general ledger by following fiscal policies and standard accounting principles.
• Provide quality services to staff and external partners by maintaining and improving communication and ongoing professional relationships.
• Assist with Month end close to include detailed review of grant spending.
• Prepare internal financial reports for management and site staff.
• Prepare sales tax submissions to recoup NC sales tax.
• Prepare and submit 1099’s.
• Other accounting duties may be added as time permits.
• This job description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions, it does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance is required, Master’s in Accounting or Finance is preferred.
• 3+ years’ work experience in accounting required.
• Considerable knowledge of accounting process and principles with emphasis on Non-profit and grant/fund accounting.
• Ability to work independently to make sound judgments.
• PC skills in Microsoft Excel and Word and the ability to effectively communicate with vendors and staff members is essential.
• Ability to work a flexible schedule.
• Knowledge of Blackbaud Financial Edge accounting software is a plus.
• Requires a high degree of attention to detail, a self-starter.
• The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee must be able to communicate and navigate, as well as, frequent work on computer screens and keyboards and occasional lifting of up to 25 pounds.