Cares for the church facilities by providing leadership and personal work ethic that fosters a culture of positive customer service, excellent operations and proactive maintenance. Provides supervision and direction to sexton staff, ensures Church building and grounds are clean and in orderly condition, performs and manages tasks related to building maintenance, develops vendor relationships and performs project work as assigned.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
• Provides supervision and creates work schedules for sexton staff.
• Works a flexible schedule for supervision and event support.
• Available on-call for emergencies, fire alarms, security alarms and major equipment failures.
• Invests in staff through supervision, training, safety and by example to achieve desired outcomes.
• Assigns work orders to appropriate staff to ensure set-ups, maintenance projects and general cleaning duties are completed with a high degree of quality.
• Performs setups, general maintenance and housekeeping duties alongside staff as needed.
• Performs basic repairs related to plumbing, electrical, carpentry, painting and landscape maintenance.
• Notifies management concerning need for major repairs or additions to HVAC, electrical, plumbing, security, safety and critical operating equipment.
• Responsible for ordering janitorial supplies and equipment required for cleanliness, safety, efficiency and within budget limits.
• Develops and maintains positive relationships with various trade contractors to ensure quality, timeliness and performance; manages contracts and contractors as assigned by Operations Director.
• Performs project-related work as assigned by Operations Director.
• Conducts weekly review of building and grounds to maintain, discover and improve cleanliness, maintenance, safety and security concerns.
• Provides support in building automation systems (BAS), audio, video and lighting (AVL) systems; security systems, event calendar and work order systems.
• Assists with vehicle fleet upkeep and routine maintenance scheduling.
• Other duties as assigned by Operations Director.
• Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree in a related field, preferred.
5 years of applicable experience or equivalent combination or education, certifications and experience.
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
• Fosters an attitude of caring customer service that supports the congregation, staff and guests.
• Provides good communication with staff, congregation and guests.
• Ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships and cooperative work environment.
• Supports church mission and culture.
• Displays knowledge and understanding required to work with the complexities of ministry in a large church.
• Demonstrates administrative and organizational skills, with an attention to detail.
• Ability to handle multiple tasks and assignments at one time.
• Ability to work both independently and collaboratively within a team to assess needs and produce results.
• Exhibits an ownership of responsibility and follow-through on commitments.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality.
• Ability to anticipate and solve problems.
Physical and mental requirements:
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle or feel, reach with hands and arms and talk/hear.
• The employee frequently is required to climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl and taste or smell.
• The employee is occasionally required to sit.
• The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds.
• Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
• The employee occasionally will need to work on a ladder and walk on a roof within safety guidelines.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals and risk of electrical shock.
• The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; moving mechanical parts; high, precarious places, outside weather conditions, extreme cold and extreme heat.
• The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Send resume and cover letter to Lynn Williams, HR Director at firstname.lastname@example.org.