Velvet Taco, a funky fast-casual restaurant chain based out of Dallas, is opening a 500-square-foot stall next to Village Juice Co. inside Optimist Hall this December.
“Charlotte is an amazing city and we are excited to be part of the community. We have been wanting to grow in Charlotte for over a year, and we feel that Optimist Hall is a great starting point for us,” Velvet Taco President Clay Dover told the Agenda.
“The Sky is the limit for Velvet Taco’s menu. We have globe-trotting flavors and inventive combinations that are chef-driven, scratch kitchen prepared and an innovative menu of tacos and sides that we believe Charlotte will love!”
This is their first North Carolina location, and the Dallas-based concept also has restaurants in Dallas, Austin, Houston, Fort Worth, Chicago and Atlanta.
Timeline: Velvet Taco targeting a December opening at Optimist Hall, and are hoping to open bigger permanent locations in Charlotte down the line.
Why Charlotte: “Velvet Taco is excited to enter the Charlotte market with our first location located within Optimist Hall,” says Clayton Dover, President of Velvet Taco. “We feel this is the perfect location, demographic and standard to be successfully serving recipes from around the world in a taco.”
Here’s their full 17-taco menu, which will be curated for their stall at Optimist Hall. Oh, and look out for weekly specials.
- Buffalo chicken – crisp tenders, house buffalo sauce, Danish bleu cheese, ranch crema, carrots, micro celery, flour tortilla
- Rotisserie chicken – queso blanco, roasted corn pico, charred tomato poblano salsa, cilantro, corn tortilla
- Spicy tikka chicken – crisp tenders, spicy tikka sauce, buttered cilantro basmati rice, raita crema, Thai basil, flour tortilla
- Picnic chicken – rotisserie chicken, avocado crema, warm honey-dijon potato salad, crispy chicken skin, cilantro, flour tortilla
- Nashville hot tofu – crispy tofu, napa slaw, ranch crema, house brined pickles, flour tortilla
- Fried paneer – tomato chutney, tikka sauce, raita crema, Thai basil, flour tortilla
- Falafel – tahini crema, arugula, tomato, pickled fresnos, avocado, pickled red onion, pea tendrils, lettuce wrap
- Cuban pig – gruyere cheese, slow-roasted pulled pork, honey ham, peppered bacon, grain mustard, house brined pickles, crisp flour tortilla
- Annatto shredded pork – avocado crema, napa slaw, grilled pineapple, pickled onion, queso fresco, cilantro, hibiscus corn tortilla
- Korean Pork – angry crema, kimchee slaw, pickled fresnos, cilantro, corn tortilla
- Kobe bacon burger – peppered bacon, smoked cheddar, lettuce, onion, tomato, pickles, velvet sauce, flour tortilla
- Grilled flank steak – portobello, queso blanco, grilled red onion, Mexican oregano, corn tortilla
- Slow-roasted angus brisket – barbacoa style, red chile mayo, avocado relish, queso blanco, micro cilantro, comté cheese, encrusted flour tortilla
- Shrimp & grits – creole remoulade, blackened shrimp, crispy pepper jack cheese grits, charred tomato salsa, micro cilantro, corn tortilla
- Fish n’ chips – curry mayo, malted french fries, napa slaw, beer battered Atlantic cod, pea tendrils, flour tortilla
- Ahi poke – sesame soy vinaigrette, arugula, pickled red onions, pickled fresnos, seaweed salad, wasabi crema, pickled ginger, black sesame seeds, lettuce wrap