We are a full-service niche marketing agency, headquartered in Charlotte, specializing in branding, research, web design and marketing strategies designed to maximize ROI. We serve a wide range of clients–large and small–with a wingspan from the Carolinas to Washington and clients from Massachusetts to South Africa.
The Creative Director should have an awesome portfolio that will blow us away, have agency experience, enjoy working in a fast-paced environment and loves the challenge of discovering what makes consumers “click” to buy or rent real estate, donate to nonprofits or get behind an issue. The goal is to translate marketing and branding strategies into innovative and impressive collateral and campaigns that stimulate targeted audiences.
• The Creative Director is responsible for the overall supervision of the agency’s product, both design and copy, the creative director interfaces between the client, the account executive and the creative department.
• The creative director is responsible for taking strategic marketing plans and interpreting them into more ideas that lead to more results.
• The Creative Director works with the Account Director to assign all creative projects within the agency and may source external talent depending on the creative needs and current utilization.
• Most of all, the creative director should have a “vision” about the strategy of the creative product to the client’s objectives and the ongoing success of the agency.
• The Creative Director must also be great leader with the ability to maximize the talents of their team and roll their sleeves up as needed. Doing so means being a coach, a teacher, an instructor and a critic all at once. The Creative Director works with copywriters, graphic designers, web designers, account managers, brand managers and other marketers on a daily basis.
• The individual who fills this position must be self-motivated and exemplify strong leadership qualities as well as fit into the agency’s established culture that promotes autonomy with results.
The successful candidate will:
• Have an intimate understanding of design and copy best practices.
• Brainstorm branding campaigns for existing and prospective clients and the agency’s self-promotion.
• See projects all the way through the end—assisting in talent acquisition, editing and more.
• Write copy for client print, email, web and social campaigns and scripts for TV, radio/audio campaigns.
• Continually learn new trends. client preferences and manufacturer guidelines.
• Be familiar with SEO best practices and be able to write SEO-focused content when needed.
• Have ability to adapt to different voices/writing styles.
• Have extensive print experience with handling paper and printers.
• Proofread and spellcheck each project.
What you will do:
• Set the “big picture” vision which include moodboards, themes and potential taglines and leads the team to execute on the chosen theme in the team brainstorming kickoff.
• Approve all creative work before presentation to the client, first reviewing the creative work with the account executive and taking the account executive’s feedback into consideration.
• Develop creative strategies that are forward-thinking and in-line with current media trends.
• Demonstrate a clear understanding of campaign objectives and devise strategies to achieve.
• Offer creative ideas and encourage others to share theirs.
• Check all copy generated by team members and offer feedback when necessary.
• Manage multiple projects, with the ability to switch from one to the other seamlessly.
• Meet deadlines and staying within budget constraints.
• Push clients towards fresh, exciting ideas and presenting.
• Provide leadership/motivation and conveying the vision and values of the agency to staff.
• Oversee creative consultations with account teams to assure appropriate creative strategies, adequacy/accuracy of input, schedules, budgets, production support, necessary reviews and client presentations.
• Produce sketches, storyboards, roughs to visualize ideas.
• Train and supervising personnel and freelancers and mentoring to foster growth.
• Oversee execution of all creative efforts to ensure they’re on strategy, on budget and on time across different types of media and into web design.
• Keep account team aware of the use of outside services and materials to assure timely billing.
• Recommend staffing changes.
• Assure the staff adheres to established agency policy/procedures.
• Maintain external professional relationships with vendors and partners.
• Fill in with clutch graphic design projects including logo, collateral, display graphics, etc.
• Participate in new business efforts as needed.
• Facilitate and promote agency initiatives and values.
• Approve/disapprove, in conjunction with VP, Director of Strategy, the time off for creative staff.
• Develop and manage a training program for creative and production staff.
• Guide career and skill development of staff. Evaluating creative staff’s performance annually.
• Work to promote department harmony, staff support and overall quality of work environment for all creative staff members.
Education and training:
• Bachelor’s degree in art, graphic design, marketing and communications.
• More important than the Creative Director’s education, is a foundation of hands-on, applicable experience, 10+ years related experience in an in-house creative department or agency setting is required.
• 5 years of supervisory experience preferred.
Additional required skills
• Extensive working knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite.
• A strong understanding of brand development and multichannel marketing concepts
• Knowledge of website design and development best practices.
• Familiarity with video production processes and best practices.
• Must not have a fear of ducks or the color yellow.