Construction/Development Project Accountant
Handles all accounting matters relating to specific assigned properties and projects including bank accounts, accounts receivable/payable, monthly financial statements preparation and computer operations. Acts as a liaison between the accounting department and the development/construction division, resolving problems and answering questions.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
• Performs month-end accounting close. Prepares financial statements and other supporting schedules accurately (in accordance with GAAP or Tax) and timely within the assigned due dates with very few errors or mistakes and verifies for reasonableness and makes corrections if necessary.
• Prepares monthly construction draws, job cost reports and reconciliations and any assignments related to development and construction involving accounts payable, accounts receivable, general ledger, banking or reporting.
• Provides data, reports and information necessary for loan draws and closings.
• Perform general contractor and subcontractor compliance – collect lien waivers and maintain waiver-tracking logs, collect insurance certificates and update insurance certificates file.
• Prepares bank reconciliations monthly and maintains up to date and accurate cash balances for assigned bank accounts.
• Anticipates and projects cash flow of individual projects and informs management of upcoming cash needs in a timely manner.
• Responsible for accounts receivable including enter deposits into remote deposit software and prepare invoices.
• Maintain construction and accounting files (electronic and hard copies).
• Assists in the preparation of monthly, quarterly and year-end tax/1099 reporting and annual audits as deemed necessary or assigned.
• Perform additional assignments and support as deemed necessary by supervisor.
• Supports the mission, vision, core values and key commitments of the company.
Knowledge and critical skills:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Bachelor’s degree in Accounting required.
• At least three to five years of accounting experience, in real estate construction/development.
• Experience with real estate industry accounting software preferred, Yardi experience a plus.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills are required.
• Strong Microsoft Excel skills, create spreadsheets, formulas, formatting, etc.
• Strong ability to work under pressure and independently.
• Strong attention to detail and prioritization skills.
• Ability to work in a fast-paced, multi-tasked environment.
Physical demands and environmental factors:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Works in office setting.
• Works under minimal supervision.
• Occasionally moves about to coordinate work.
Critical features of this job are described under the previous headings. They may be subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons. This job description does not list all the duties of the job. You may be asked by supervisors to perform other non-essential assignments and duties. You will be evaluated in part based upon your performance of the tasks listed in this job description.