Working at ESPN is unlike anything else. That’s because we’re always finding new ways to interact with fans – however and wherever they connect with sports. Every day we’re doing things that no one has done, all in a dynamic culture where we defy odds and continuously outdo ourselves. When you have the latest technology, game-changing ideas and world-class talent on your team, every day is extraordinary.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with ESPN Productions, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call ESPN.
The Digital Associate Producer I is a day-to-day content manager who helps shape the SEC Network digital platform. The position involves the oversight of content publishers as well as publishing content, requires intelligent news judgment, an understanding of the collegiate sports environment, ability to execute content budgets and workflows around them and a specific understanding of the Southeastern Conference (SEC).
This role includes the facilitation of content budgets and digital publishing activities, ensuring the execution of a daily content plan, which includes managing an extensive workflow and process. Processes around the content publishing activities include editing headlines and captions for grammatical accuracy, data entry into several tracking applications, ensuring content is surfaced and distributed to multiple outlets and verifying all automated pages on the site are accurate and functional.
This role is centered on SEC event schedules and will involve nearly exclusive nights, weekend and holiday shifts. This position requires a passion for and in-depth knowledge of, the SEC, awareness of the SEC audience and an ability to be extremely detail oriented in a fast-paced, high-volume environment.
The Digital Associate Producer I will be responsible for ensuring that all content meets established tone, theme, accuracy, style and consistency requirements. The job requires the ability to focus under fast-paced pressure, the capacity for managing multiple tasks at once and the ability to make sound and autonomous decisions concerning content prioritization. Great communication skills, attention to detail and a sense of humor are all a must.
• Edit and publish digital content using a content management system.
• Utilize good judgment and preparation toward prioritizing and selecting content from a variety of sources.
• Aggregate and publish content to the digital platform from SEC Network and its stakeholders, including the Southeastern Conference (SEC) and its member institutions.
• Provide guided direction and oversight of a team of part-time content publishers and their work throughout a shift.
• Ensure that an extensive workflow consisting of 10+ steps is executed properly for each piece of content published.
• Performs pre and post-production digital video editing.
• Requires a self-starter who is capable of managing a heavy workload and has excellent time management skills. Attention to detail, reliability and work ethic are a must.
• Write excellent, attention-grabbing headlines that both intrigue and entertain users.
• Top edit several posts and features per day.
• Prioritize content based on audience demand and search data.
• Utilize best practices for Search Engine Optimization and Social Media to drive audience.
• The ability to be self-sufficient as an individual as well as work well within a team setting.
• The ability to recognize content with social engagement potential, publish expediently and notify relevant parties.
• Represent the digital platform and its editorial team at select events throughout the year, with the ability to form and strengthen relationships with internal and external partners.
Qualifications and education:
• Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) in Journalism, Communications, English or a related field.
• Minimum of 3 years of practical digital content management and television experience, including editorial, reporting and/or copy editing experience.
• Has basic news journalism experience and news judgment, understands assigned sport(s) from a journalistic point of view. Exhibit a solid understanding and appreciation of news, story play and trending topics.
• Familiarity and working knowledge of online content management systems and digital video production-related techniques.
• Strong communication skills and experience as part of a cross-functional team.
• Has a basic understanding of HTML and related web authoring tools and software.
• Has a basic understanding of video editing software.
• Possess excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Possess excellent people management skills.
• Willingness to embrace work shifts that will require night, holiday and/or weekend duty.
• Knowledge and perspective on SEC-related history and current developments, as well as athletes, coaches and league operations.
• Candidates must be able to demonstrate they are gifted in editorial speed and judgment.
• Candidates should have the demonstrated ability to write and think capably about several different sports.
• Familiarity with most major internet search engines and fluency in electronic newsgathering techniques.
• Have an understanding and appreciation of search engine optimization and social media.
• Strong English grammar and excellent organizational skill, particularly as it applies to grammar and syntax.
• Advanced experience and management of content creation, as well as experience with joint-venture operations.
ESPN Productions, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.