CROSS Assistant (HIRED)
CROSS is Myers Park Presbyterian Church’s urban outreach ministry. This position provides coordination, administration and direction for the CROSS program under the general direction of the CROSS Director.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
• Assist CROSS Director with managing CROSS group calendar, scheduling work sites for CROSS groups and securing reservations for CROSS groups.
• Coordinate visits by CROSS groups by setting menus, purchasing food, arranging for housing needs and other needs with MPPC staff and facilities.
• Periodically lead devotionals, group team-building activities and offer ideas for recreational time for CROSS groups.
• Assist Director with recruiting and training of guides and interns.
• Provide orientation to the weekend urban ministry experiences.
• Assist CROSS Director in marketing CROSS program to potential groups/communities in an effort to grow the CROSS Program regionally.
• Monitor and serve with CROSS groups (on-site or check-ins) throughout the day, 2-3 times a week in the evening in conjunction with the Director (during summer program).
• “On call” four out of six nights during the summer weeks / college-break weeks and over weekends when visiting CROSS groups are in residence.
• Work in conjunction with CROSS Director in providing management of Cornerstone house, CROSS supply closet (Outreach Center), refrigerator, kitchen cabinet and sleeping rooms.
• Performs other duties as assigned by CROSS Director.
• This position supervises CROSS interns in conjunction with CROSS Director.
• Bachelor’s degree in a related field with 3 years of related experience or the equivalent combination of education and experience and a committed follower of Christ with evidence of personal discipleship.
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
• Ability to connect outreach to Christian beliefs, practices and scripture.
• Ability to work both independently and collaboratively within a team.
• Ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships.
• Demonstrates strong administrative and organizational skills.
• Accounting, budgeting, invoicing skills and proficiency with Excel spreadsheets.
• Effective leadership and facilitation skills with both youth and adults, including speaking in front of groups and facilitating group discussions.
• Ability to interact well and communicate (verbal, written and / or electronic) effectively with diverse populations including: ministry site representatives and clients, MPPC members, CROSS staff, youth and youth leaders.
• Ability to assess needs and produce results in forging relationships and establishing partnerships with ministry sites throughout the city.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality.
• Ability to read, interpret and analyze complex documents.
• Ability to interpret budgetary information and provide insight.
• Demonstrates strong computer knowledge: Microsoft Office suite, intranet/intranet and database concepts.
• Must be able to travel to local work sites and community connections.
• Ability to successfully complete MPPC Child and Youth Protection Policy training and meet policy requirements.
• Personal qualities of integrity, credibility and a commitment to MPPC’s mission.
Physical and mental requirements:
• Physical requirements include but may not be limited to: bending, stooping and lifting up to 25 pounds, frequent handling of files, books, boxes of documents, keyboarding operating a telephone and other office equipment.
• Mental requirements include but may not be limited to: general math functions, intermediate reading, advanced reasoning, advanced speaking ability and advanced writing ability.
• The employee is required to be mobile throughout the building and frequently attend off-site functions.
• The noise level in the work environment is moderate.