Chief Marketing & Communications Officer
What you will do:
Develop and execute Insurance-specific marketing and communication (MarComm) strategy in support of overall business plans and strategic direction of the organization. This leader will have a heavy emphasis on coordination across Insurance business/segments and applicable marketing functions where already in place. Areas of focus include brand management, communications and digital marketing (websites, social, search). Work consultatively with the Insurance leadership team to help create content in support of an overall communication plan as well as coordinate with BB&T marketing/communication per new governance model.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
Following is a summary of the essential functions for this job. Other duties may be performed, both major and minor, which are not mentioned below. Specific activities may change from time to time.
• Design and oversee implementation of BB&T Insurance Holdings’ (BB&TIH) overall internal and external MarComm strategy to include: brand, internal corporate communications, external marketing including advertising, collateral, campaigns, events, public relations and digital marketing (websites, social, search).
• Foster the definition of MarComm strategy guidelines and processes across BB&TIH.
• Ensure strategy alignment with other BB&TIH stakeholders (e.g. Retail/Wholesale/PreFi leaders, Operations, Human Resources, Information Technology, Insurance Advisory Council/Board).
• Coordinate implementation of MarComm initiatives for BB&TIH and business units.
• Collaborate with MarComm teams across the organization and promote their career development.
• Lead and implement communications to help drive transformation strategy in line with other transformation initiatives.
• Drive measurement of MarComm initiatives.
• Lead and/or support content creation and coordination across BB&TIH.
• Proactively communicates with business partners regarding projects, strategic direction, staffing, resource allocation and prioritization.
• Actively participates in regular business unit planning discussions for most significant business units and oversees associates doing the same for other units.
• Ownership and oversite of the review process, proactively working with legal and compliance and entities to identify and meet all requirements and assure standards are met department- and company-wide.
• Drive engagement in internal communications through innovative approaches that invite participation and include sound change management principles—including, but not limited to, town halls and video communications.
• Partner with Chief Talent Officer in crafting and execution of company communications.
• Provide strategic day-to-day communications counsel to all functional heads.
• Proactively identify key MarComm needs to ensure resources are allocated correctly.
• Maintain competitive view of landscape within industry and marketing in general, to identify future opportunities and path to achieve competitive advantage.
• Raise upcoming MarComm gaps to senior management and key partners.
• Enable MarComm teams at various levels throughout the organization by engaging collaboratively and sharing best practices.
• Provide visionary leadership around identifying and reporting on metrics for monitoring marketing effectiveness.
Required skills and competencies:
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent education and related training.
• 15 years related experience in progressively increasing leadership roles.
• Effective management and prioritization of budgets and resources.
• Experience leading/coordinating with diverse teams of MarComm professionals.
• Familiarity with all traditional MarComm tools and enthusiasm to identify/learn/adopt new ones and drive their use across teams and company.
• Understanding of legal, compliance and regulatory issues applicable to insurance industry.
• Ability to identify and manage risk.
• Exceptionally strong interpersonal and written communication skills.
• Ability to set high standards for excellent customer service to both internal and external customers and coach team members to deliver the same.
• Extremely effective time management skills, with demonstrated abilities to properly prioritize projects and juggle multiple and often competing deadline driven deliverables, while also managing others through this process.
• Work independently, with minimal direction, meeting deadlines without prompting, while keeping stakeholders apprised and team members engaged.
• Experience maintaining a team-oriented environment, handling conflict and managing/distributing department tasks.
• Demonstrated proficiency in basic computer applications, such as Microsoft Office software products.
• Ability to travel, occasionally overnight.
• Proficient with programs such as InDesign, PhotoShop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and MS Outlook, with ability to teach/coordinate with others and uphold the company’s standards
BB&T is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers all qualified applicants regardless of race, gender, color, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, veteran status or other classification protected by law.